S2 CHAPTER 12

"It's not like it was before. It's grown. A lot. And, I mean, that's considering we can get in there. The place is crawling with those dogs." Hopper sighed, "Demo-dogs." Dustin corrected. "I'm sorry, what?" he asked your brother. "I said, uh, Demo-dogs. Like Demogorgon and dogs. You put them together, it sounds pretty badass-" You cut him off "Dusty, that's not important right now." you shook your head lightly. "It's not. I'm sorry." he said looking down. You ruffled his hair, making him look at you. "I can do it." El spoke up. "You're not hearing me." Hopper said looking to the girl, who was currently drying her face off from the rain. "I'm hearing you. I can do it." "Even if El can, there's still another problem. If the brain dies, the body dies." you mumbled to the group. "I thought that was the whole point?" Lucas pointed out. "It is, but if we're really right about this...I mean, if El closes the gate and kills the mind flayer's army..." you trailed off hoping someone would catch on. Luckily Mike did, "Will's a part of that army. Closing the gate will kill him." everyone looked to the sleeping boy.

Joyce removed her hands from her face, taking a step back and looking around, "He likes it cold." everyone looked confused. "What?" Hopper asked. "It's what Will kept saying to me. He likes it cold. We keep giving it what it wants." She paused, "If this is a virus, and Will's the host, then..." she looked back to the group, "Then we need to make the host uninhabitable." Jonathan concluded. "So if he likes it cold..." Nancy started, "We need to burn it out of him." you finished. "We have to do it somewhere he doesn't know this time." Hopper said grabbing his keys. "Yeah, somewhere far away." Joyce said.

People began to scramble grabbing things, the kids kept asking to help but were quickly shut down. You didn't blame them for wanting to help, but at the same time it was dangerous. You handed Nancy your radio, "It's channel ten, listen..." you paused as she looked at you confused, "Go with Jonathan, and you let me know when that thing is out of him." you told her grabbing her shoulders. "No, I'm-" she shook her head and scoffed, "I'm not just gonna leave Mike." she said looking behind you to the group of kids, desperately trying help. "No one's leaving anyone." you assured her. "Y/n, you're hurt and you cant deal with them all on your own." you laughed, "Says who? I've been dealing with them for years, plus I have Harrington over there, not that he'll be of much use." You both laughed, looking to the older teen as he tried to wrangle the group of 13 year old's.

"Hey!-" he walked over to the two of you, standing behind you and putting a hand on your shoulder. "I may be a pretty shitty boyfriend, but...turns out I'm actually a pretty damn good babysitter." You smiled and rolled your eyes giving Nancy a look that said, 'Hurry up because this is the shit I have to deal with while you're gone' "Y/n-" You stopped her, "It's okay, Nance." you smiled again trying to ease her nerves. "Just be careful, okay? I cant lose my bestfriend" she teared up, "You wont lose me." she told you, pulling you into a hug as Steve walked away. "Promise?" she squeezed you tighter, "Promise." She pulled away, but you held her arm, "And keep Johnny safe for me will you? You know he cant fire a gun to save his life." you giggled, seeing her face turn red. "Ooohhh? Are my Bestfriends crushing on eachother?" you teased her quietly. She hit your arm as her face only turned a darker shade of red. "Y/n! This is not important right now!" You smirked to her. "So after all this is over it will be important and you'll tell me all about it?" She shook her head and walked away.

Once everyone said their goodbyes, the rest of the party sat in the living room silently. Well almost everyone. Dustin and Steve were missing. "Where the hell are they?" you mumbled to yourself. Standing up from the couch, you walked around until you heard a crashing noise in the kitchen. You reluctantly walked over to the door way, not sure if you actually want to know what's going on. "All right. It should fit now." Your brother said, setting a jar of pickles on the counter. "Is this really necessary?" Steve asked holding the dead Demo-dog as far away from his body as possible. "Yes, it is, okay? This is a ground-breaking scientific discovery." he spoke quickly, "What it is, is gross." you said standing in the doorway crossing your arms. "We can't just bury it like some common mammal, okay? It's not a dog." You lifted your arms in a surrender motion, "All right." Steve grumbled holding the dead monster, trying to keep it from slipping out of his gloved hands. "But you're explaining this to Mrs. Byers, all right? Christ. Help me out." He struggled, looking to you. "What am I supposed to do?" you asked. "Get the door, please." you rolled your eyes and looked to Dustin who was now eating one of the pickles from the jar. "What? Do you want one?" he asked holding the jar out to you. You rolled your eyes and stepped around him opening the fridge door. "All right, I got the door. Ew- Jesus..." you mumbled trying not to gag. "God..." Steve huffed. "Phew!" he wiped his brow with his forearm like a dad would. You rolled your eyes but a stupid grin crossed your lips anyways. You turned, walking to the living room, where Mike and Lucas were arguing.

"Mike, would you just stop already?" Lucas grumbled irritated. "You weren't in there, okay, Lucas? That lab is swarming with hundreds of those dogs!" Mike raised his voice. "Demo-dogs!" your brother called out over them. "The chief will take care of her." Lucas tried reassuring him. "Like she needs protection." Mike grumbled before Steve spoke up. "Listen, dude, a coach calls a play in a game, bottom line, you execute it. All right?" you snorted. None of these dorks knew literally anything about sports. "Okay, first of all, this isn't some stupid sports game. And second, we're not even in the game. We're on the bench." Mike said rolling his eyes. "So my point is...Right, yeah, we're on the bench,so, uh, there's nothing we can do." You stepped forward, "That's not entirely true. I mean, these Demo-dogs, they have a hive mind. When they ran away from the bus, they were called away." you said to the group, Mike looked hopeful. "If we get their attention...Maybe we can draw them from the lab." Mike started, "Clear a path to the gate." Lucas continued. "Yeah, and then we all die." Steve said, rolling his eyes. "That's one point of view." you said looking up at him. You held eye contact for a moment before he looked away shaking his head. "No, that's not a point of view, Y/n. That's a fact." You just shrugged looking back to the kids. "I got it!" Mike said pointing to the map that was sitting on the table. "This is where the chief dug his hole. This is our way into the tunnel. So...Here, right here. This is like a hub. So you got all the tunnels feeding in here. Maybe if we set this on fire-"

"Oh, yeah? That's a no." Steve said trying to end the conversation.

"The mind flayer would call away his army." Lucas said

"They'd all come to stop us." Dustin spoke

"We circle back to the exit." Max chimed in

"Guys-" Steve raised his voice a little, realizing speaking normally wasn't working.

"By the time they realize we're gone..." Mike trailed off

"El would be at the gate." you finished smiling.

"Hey. Hey! Hey! This is not happening." Steve yelled over everyone, "But-" Mike started but he was cut off by the older teen. "No, no, no. No buts. We promised we'd keep you shitheads safe, and that's exactly what I plan on doing, and Y/n," he turned to you, his eyes locked with yours immediately, Was he trying to intimidate you? Because with his ' Puppy dog eyes' it was not working. "You are not helping. We're staying here. On the bench. And we're waiting for the starting team to do their job. Does everybody understand?" The kids grumbled and you rolled your eyes, "This isn't a stupid sports game." Mike mouthed off. "I said does everybody understand that? I need a yes." He demanded. "Ugh- Y/n can you control your stupid boy-" He stopped when loud music approached in the front yard.

"It's my brother. He can't know I'm here. He'll kill me. He'll kill us." She mumbled and you pulled her into your side.