**✿❀ Chapter Nineteen ❀✿**

"So, how was your Christmas with the Saiki's?" Fuyuhiko asked and leaned into the café table. Currently, Fuyuhiko had returned to spend New Years with you, and had surprised you while you were on shift at Café Mami. Thankfully, it was 7:49 pm, so you were able to get off 10 minutes early to sit and talk to him.

"It was great! But of course, duty calls." You sighed and took a sip of your lemonade.

"You gotta take a crap?" Fuyuhiko snorted.

"NO, I'm talking about work." You grumbled and set your glass down.

"You know I'm only kidding. Anyway, did anything happen with Ku~su~o?"

"Not exactly. His neighbor mistook me for Cyborg Cider-man's girlfriend and told us to kiss."

"And did do?"

"No..."
"Did you want to?"

Fuyuhiko's question threw you off, but you were somehow expecting it.

"...I... Um..." Your face reddened as you thought about Kusuo kissing you. Nervously, you brought your lemonade to your lips.

'D-Do I?'

"Y/n, it's obvious the two of you love each other." Fuyuhiko stated. You spit out your drink, but thankfully, Fuyuhiko held up a menu to stop the lemonade from getting on him, like he knew you would do that.

"S-Seriously?"
"Oh my sweet cousin, you two act like a couple already. Always hugging and cuddling and sleeping with each other-"

"Don't make it sound perverted!" You shouted... A little too loudly, because now the whole café was looking at you.

"Quiet down, will you? And don't deny it. You've said in the past that you could only ever see yourself with him." Fuyuhiko lectured and repeatedly pointed his straw at you to make a point.

"I did, but..." You said sadly and looked down.

"No buts except for yours on his lap."

"You have absolutely NO filter!" You blushed. Fuyuhiko just smirked and shrugged.

"It makes life more fun."

"Whatever..." You mumbled and finished off your lemonade. Taking it as a sign that you were done, Fuyuhiko stood up and placed a $20 tip on the table for Mera.

"You're awfully generous." You smiled at Fuyuhiko and fixed your work outfit.

"It's only a 20." Fuyuhiko shrugged.

'Pfft only a 20 he says. It's a mere 20. At least he's considerate with his money.'

You always admired your cousin. He didn't flaunt his money around, but was generous to those who needed it. Despite being rich, he owns a very small yet comfortable home. He pursued his dream job and became world renowned for it.

Being the gentleman he is, Fuyuhiko opened the passenger side door for you to get inside. You smiled at him and sat down in the car and buckled your seatbelt. Fuyuhiko shut the door and walked to the drivers side and did the same.

As Fuyuhiko drove you both home, you couldn't help but think about his comments. You didn't want to admit it, but they were true. Ever since moving back to Japan, you swore you had 100 thoughts and Kusuo was 99 of them. You loved it when he held you or complimented you. Your current dreams of losing him have only made your feelings for him more apparent.

Unfortunately...

You didn't want to risk anything.

If you confessed, and he didn't return your feelings, then you feared your friendship would end.

You couldn't bare that.

If you lost Kusuo...

"Hey, you alright?"

You jumped in your seat at Fuyuhiko's question. You were too lost in thought to notice that you were now in your driveway. You looked over at Fuyuhiko and saw that he was worried.

"I'm alright. I think I just need a shower... I feel all sticky from work." You said as the two of you unbuckled your seatbelts and got out of the car.

"Yeah, I'm sure you do~"

"What is with you tonight?" You sighed and opened the front door and walked into your house.

"Whatever. Go enjoy your shower. I'm gonna go decompose." Fuyuhiko sighed as well and walked upstairs to his bedroom.

"Don't you mean decompress?" You questioned as you followed him.

"Nope. Decompooose." Fuyuhiko said and prolonged the O. He walked into his bedroom and shut the door behind him, leaving you by yourself. You sighed for the umpteenth time that night and opened your bedroom door. You put your hands behind your back and began to untie your apron. After that, you threw your phone on your bed and started to undress.

Setting out some undergarments and a nightgown down onto your bed, you walked to your bathroom that was conveniently connected to your bedroom and turned on the shower. You waited for the water to warm up before stepping inside of it. You pressed your back against the wall of the shower and slowly slid down. You brought your knees up to your chest and buried your head in your knees.

'Do I... Love Kusuo?'

Your negative thoughts got the better of you and you tried your best not to cry.

'I'll just lose him... Like everyone else I love.'

'He would have to be crazy to actually like someone like me.'

'God will just take him too, just like mom and dad.'

'He's better off without me.'

'He would be better off without you.'

'Better off without you.'

'Without you.'

Deciding not to give in to your depression, you stood up from the shower floor and began to wash yourself with your lemon scented bodywash and hair products.

After a good 20 minute shower, you turned off the water and stepped out. You wrapped a towel around your body and opened the door, letting out all the built up steam from the bathroom. Grabbing your phone from your bed, you turned it on to see a message from Kusuo. You opened the link he had sent you, only to be greeted with this piece of artwork.

-"You like birds, so I thought you'd enjoy this. Get some good rest, alright? :)"-

You smiled as you read Kusuo's message and brought the phone to your chest and a tear slid down your cheek.

"It's amazing how uncanny his timing is."