vii. the wheat people try to kill us

CHAPTER SEVEN ───────────
✧₊˚。({ THE WHEAT PEOPLE TRY TO KILL US })

CHAPTER SEVEN ───────────✧₊˚。({  THE WHEAT PEOPLE TRY TO KILL US  })

ribs     LORDE  "

{ ROMA }
JUNE 20TH,  2010
──────────

THE BEAMS OF THE LIGHTHOUSE are the only light for miles. It rotates constantly, encasing the green fields and sandy grounds in a yellowy glow. The reflection cast onto the rippling water is what Roma has been staring at for the past ten minutes or so.

       Her legs are tucked into her chest and she's sitting a few meters away from the rest of the group, playing with her ouma's ring again. Two of which are kneeling over the other and trying to wake up her up from the unconscious state she's been in for the last couple of hours.

          "Hazel! Hey, Hazel, come on! You gotta wake up! Hazel! Come on, please! Wake up!" Frank shakes her shoulders in panic. Hazel's been out for almost five hours now so Roma guesses he has a right to be scared.

       Suddenly, there's a gasp and Hazel reflexively hits the side of Percy's face with the back of her hand as she snaps into a sitting position.

       Roma smirks into the palm of her hand as Percy complains loudly, rubbing the reddening spot on his left cheek. He sits back with a scowl, glancing backward at the curly-haired girl he's sure will be laughing at his expense. But he's slightly disappointed to see her still staring straight-faced at the moonlit ocean, having pulled herself together at the last second. She's still angry with him.

       As Frank tells Hazel where they are and what they've been doing while she was out cold, Percy makes his way over the sand towards Roma.

         "Um, are you okay?" he asks, knowing full well she isn't. "You've been quiet ever since we passed Bolinas." He sits down next to her, careful to keep enough space between them just in case she feels like hitting him.

       She doesn't answer so he tries again but she continues to ignore him. He sighs, beginning to push himself off of the ground when she lets out a huff of humorless laughter. "I'm not mad at you, you know," she explains. "I just don't feel like talking to anyone right now."

       Still, he waits because he knows she's been dying to rant to someone about whatever's on her mind.

         "It's just━" She can't find the right words to say. There are so many thoughts in her head, she can't properly process them. Damn ADHD. "I━ People always━" She huffs irritably. "I don't know."