Part 11 - Jackson Bay

The morning of Jackson Bay, you wake up even earlier than your alarm, which probably isn't a good thing seeing as you struggle to keep your eyes open after getting in the car.

As the car comes to a halt, it jolts you awake, and for a minute you think that you're already at Jackson Bay, until you realise you've parked outside the Gibson's house.

"What are we doing?" you say suddenly. Your mum doesn't respond and turns to Marlon, who rolls his eyes.

"I told your brother that if we're going to Jackson Bay, we have to take Ari with us, because I told Mrs Gibson I would."

"Why would you do that? You know he hates me!" Marlon replies in exasperation.

"You two need to make up." she points to the front door. "Now go and call for Ari." she orders, and Marlon sighs, unbuckling his seat belt and walking incredibly slowly up the path to the Gibson's house.

You can't hear the conversation, but Ari's mum Abbie appears at the door, a smile on her face which you're sure is not genuine. A few seconds later, Ari follows Marlon down the gravel path, their faces sharing the same weary looks plastered across their faces.

Upon seeing Ari, you're instantly reminded of the events at the surf club a few days ago, as you have been each day since. You've tried to block all thoughts of Ari out your mind for now, in order to focus on the comp, but you're mind's been riddled with anxiousness about his panic attack. You feel like you should mention it to someone, but Ari made you swear.

The first half hour of the journey is almost completely silent, save for Marlon's disgruntled murmurs to your mum about her apparently questionable choice of music.

"Couldn't Bodhi have have at least come with us too?" Marlon suddenly says - speaking in Portuguese so Ari wouldn't understand - his frustration at being stuck in a car with his ex-bestfriend obviously boiling over finally.

"I want you and Ari to spend some time together. It would be good for you." she says, and Marlon replies in an even more bitter tone.

"You really think he still wants me around? No, he doesn't." Marlon snaps.

You turn to Ari; even though he doesn't speak Portuguese, it looks like he's getting the gist of the conversation so far.

"He still blames me for the accident." Marlon says, slightly softer this time.

"He actually said that?" your mum replies.

"He's never said that Marlon." you add, already bored from this conversation.

"Was I talking to you?" He turns round in his seat to face you. "What the hell do you know?"

You ignore him as your mum gestures for him to turn back round and face forward.

"You know, Ari," she says in English, "I know it's been a really tough year for you, but you know the past is the past, it's done now." she turns to Marlon. "You say sorry and you move on."

"I have nothing to apologise for." Marlon snaps.

All of a sudden, a familiar van approaches from behind you, blasting music from its vintage radio and overtaking your mum's car. You catch a glimpse of Bodhi, Poppy and Summer in the back, and Manu driving. You would trade the atmosphere in the car right now for the atmosphere in the van any day.

"See why couldn't I have gone with them?" You ask, slumping back in your seat with your arms crossed.

"They didn't invite you." Marlon mutters, but your mum is quick to step in.

"No, Y/n they did invite you, but technically you're still grounded, so I declined on your behalf." she said authoritatively.

"Great." you mutter, wondering how you're going to survive another hour with these two boys.

_____________________________

When you arrive at the beach, you spot Anchor Cove and some of your other competition warming up. Your mum parks next to Bodhi's van, where the girls are already getting wetsuits on.

Including Summer.

"Summer's surfing?" You say to Ari, maybe a little too loudly as Summer turns to you with a huge grin on her face.

"Yeah Y/n! And you better watch out; I'm in your heat." She smiles.

You pull on your own wetsuit after, warming up with the others, then head down to the beach for the first heat. It's Poppy's first, and the only other real contender to win in her heat is Sheridon. But Poppy will completely destroy her anyway.

You take a seat on the beach next to Bodhi and Summer; Bodhi seems to be trying out Poppy's before-heat headphones technique and seems completely zoned out.

"I can't believe you're really surfing." You say to Summer incredulously, who just smiles wryly.

"What can I say? I'm gonna kill all of you out there." She exclaims.

"I wouldn't be so sure." Bodhi takes off her headphones, but her expression is cold as she addresses her friend; if the headphones were meant to make her calm before her heat, it obviously hasn't worked, you think.

Summer falters. "Yeah, well. Maybe I'll get second." She smiles knowingly at you and you can't help but grin back.

"I'm serious Summer." Bodhi replies. "People train hard for these comps. They might find it disrespectful."

"Says the girl who puts on a whole face of makeup before getting in the water." Summer fires back, her smile fading slightly.

You don't have time to worry about any girl drama though; you suddenly see Poppy catch a beautiful 4-footer, and secure the best score of the set.

"Let's go Poppy!" Summer exclaims, and you flinch as she's so close to your ear.

Suddenly, you feel a hand on your shoulder and you swivel around to Ari, crouched on the sound next to you, his face stone cold. "Can I talk to you a sec?"

"Sure." You reply, pushing up from the sand your hands. He leads you away to behind some rocks where he stops and lets out a breath he probably didn't know he was holding. You can see his hands fidgeting behind his back as he stumbles over his words.

"You...you didn't tell anyone about what happened last week did you?" he asks tentatively.

"No. No of course not."

He nodded, relief settling across his features. "I just thought I should let you know that I'm fine now. I've got it under control and it won't happen again."

"I don't think that's how this works, Ari." You say softly, but he rolls his eyes, taking a step back.

"That's what Summer said. God I wish you two had never even seen."

"We're only saying it because we're worried about you!" You exclaim, suddenly frustrated at Ari's reluctance at anyone wanting to help him in the slightest. "And Ari, you should tell someone. Someone that isn't me or Summer." You say simply, squeezing his hand before turning back in the direction of the beach.