Part 91 - Reputation

"It was how he said it!" Bodhi exclaims. "'They only signed me for diversity', like I don't know what that means?!"

So this is what Bodhi meant when she said she found out why Subtropix apparently signed her. But this can't be the truth, right? It's just Dice being a racist creep. You can't lie, you didn't peg him for the type, not with his enthusiasm and apparent love for what he does. But now you can't think of anything worse than standing in front of a camera for him.

"Well, we need to do something about this!" Summer exclaims, and you nod.

"I agree."

"I think you should demand surf shots in your next contract." Wren suggests.

"Yeah, that's great for long-term," Summer retorts. "But we have to do something now!"

"No, we're just groms to them!" Wren exclaims. "The last thing we need is a reputation for being difficult!" she shoots a pointed glare at Summer.

"What about his reputation? We need to expose this creep."

"Yeah, why don't you tell Molly about this?" you offer, directing your question at Bodhi, although Wren and Summer will have an opinion, no doubt.

"I'll go with you if you want." Poppy offers.

"Why don't you call him out on socials?" you suggest, and Summer claps her hands together.

"Yes! That is a great idea."

"Guys, you're not listening!" Poppy exclaims, cutting Summer off. "Bodhs, what do you want?"

"I just want to surf!"

"And that's fine to do later, but we need to do something now!" Summer stands up. "We could trash his room, fill his camera bag with shellfish, I don't know!"

"Summer, respectfully, this is something we've been working towards since we were kids," Wren snaps. "If we go trashing rooms, Subtropix are going to drop us!"

"Um, okay, respectfully Wren, I can't believe we're talking about doing nothing." Summer responds.

"I think we should do Summer's plan." you add, and she throws her hands up.

"Thank you!"

"No! Guys, can you stop? Please?" Bodhi glares at you both. "I need to deal with this in my own way, and you two need to respect that." she says to you and Summer.

"Okay, just trying to help." Summer mutters next to you.

_______________

"I totally think you're right, by the way," you say to Summer later on the pool beds outside. It's a warm evening, and the pool ripples gently a few feet away as the evening begins to close in, casting shadows across the patio. "I can't believe we're just sitting here doing nothing, and that racist is going to keep making thousands of dollars each day he's working. It's so wrong."

"I know!" she responds. "And of course Wren had to remind everyone that apparently I can't have an opinion on this because I haven't been surfing as long as her."

"She's so irritating. And why does Poppy not see - she totally should have been captain instead of Wren, and-" you stop, noticing Summer tapping on her phone. "What are you doing?" you ask, and she looks up in surprise.

"Facetiming Ari." she shrugs.

"What, why?"

"Why not? It's a second opinion." she replies casually.

"Okay, but don't tell him I'm here." you say, shuffling to the end of the sun bed so you're out of view.

It's a couple of seconds later when you hear Ari's voice through the phone.

"Do you think I'm a terrible friend?" Summer asks instantly, and you hear Ari hesitate, obviously taken aback at her...interesting question.

"Um...no?" he responds. "Who said that?"

She simply shrugs. Something tells you saying it was his girlfriend would not go down well. "Anyway, what's going on back at Shorehaven?"

"Well, I signed my contract today." You can hear the smile in his voice.

Your eyes widen and you share a surprised glance with Summer, whose mouth curves into an incredulous smile.

"What?! Ari, that's insane!" she exclaims.

"Yeah, you're looking at BluGravity's next big thing!"

"Ari, that's amazing!" you say, unable to contain yourself, and sprint round the side of the bed to where Summer is holding the phone.

"Oh, yeah, Y/n's here too," Summer says, and she shuffles along to let you sit on the bed. "She was hiding."

"Why?" he laughs slightly.

"Who cares, Ari, you're sponsored!" you reply. "Have you hit up the surf store yet?" you ask, knowing that was the first thing Marlon did when he signed his contract. God, you were so jealous. He came home with bags and bags of free stuff, not sharing anything, of course, being Marlon.

"Nah, not yet. I might go tomorrow."

"Don't take Marlon, he'll try and make you buy things for him with your store credit." you say, then feel yourself tense when Ari's face harders, his brow furrowing slightly.

"Speaking of Mars," Ari starts, and you see his smile falter. "Is he okay?"

"I think so," you lie. The truth is, you're not sure at all. "He's just been a bit down about being the sub."

"Well, he was acting really weird this morning. We went for a surf, and it was pretty small so he went back home to get a longboard, and then... he didn't come back."

Mars didn't tell you that.

You just assumed he must have seen the random man at the house, like you did, and then gone back for his surf with Ari. You suppose not.

"Anyway, I was getting kind of worried, so I called him, but he didn't respond. Eventually he came by the surf club this afternoon and I managed to catch a word with him - he said there was stuff going on at home," he breathes deeply. "But, he was acting...weird."

"What kind of weird?"

"Like, first of all he barely spoke to me, then when I tried to grab his arm when he looked like he was about to leave, his knuckles were bloody."

Your fist curls, and a stab of worry makes your chest feel tight as you share an uneasy glance with Summer.

"I just thought I'd mention it, because it was pretty weird." he says - it's more than weird, you want to say. If his knuckles were bloody, he'd either been fighting someone, or fighting a wall, and that wouldn't be the first time. What the hell could have made him so angry though?

"Okay, thanks for letting me know," you respond, willing your voice not to waver. "I'll talk to him later."

Ari nods. "Ah, hang on, Wren's calling me."

"Ari, you're sponsored now, you can decline any call you want!" Summer responds.

He must take her advice, for they keep talking for ages afterwards. You zone out slightly, thinking about your brother, before you realise how late it is.

Ari hangs up, and you and Summer head to your room. Poppy must still be in the living room, for her bed is empty.

"You seem a little quiet." Summer says as you head to the bathroom to brush your teeth.

"Just thinking about Mars." you call back.

"Yeah, that was really weird," she replies. "But hey, isn't it great about Ari signing his contract?"

"Yeah," you reply, grateful for the change of subject. "I'm happy for him."