Part 72 - The State Team

"You nervous?" you ask your brother as you close the front door of the house behind you. He undoubtedly is nervous, but you hope maybe talking about it will ease his nerves slightly, and yours too, for that matter.

"Of course, it's the State Team." he mutters as you begin walking down the coast path.

"I know. When are they going to tell us though, it's been like, over six hours now, how long does it take to make a decision." you ramble.

"I dunno." Marlon shrugs. He's quiet tonight, and keeps looking ahead as you stroll along the road to the Gibsons' house. He's walking along, subdued, with his hands in his pockets and only giving one word answers. You can't blame him for being anxious, especially after his fall today in the water, costing him points.

"When you become a pro will you give me money?" you say, trying to make him a little happier, maybe boost his confidence a little, and he smiles for a second, but it's gone as quick as it came.

"In your dreams."

"What, no, 'you'll be a pro too one day'? No encouragement for me?"

"Nah." he replies, and you respond by shoving into him playfully just as you reach the road leading to Ari's house. Just in time for a car to pull up next to you.

"You guys want a ride?" Summer pokes her head out the window of the passenger side. You see Honey in the back, too, and after a quick nod from Marlon, you slide into the middle seat next to her.

Eventually, you reach Ari's house and follow Summer and Honey inside as Honey rambles to her about something or other. You're guessing she too has only just been reacquainted with Summer.

"You have to see my deck collection," Honey's telling her as she opens the door. "Honestly, the amount of gold people dump in hard rubbish is truly astounding." Honey stops short as she reaches the kitchen, and you follow her eyes to where Ari and Wren are kissing. Again.

"They do this all the time," Honey mutters under her breath, and you're glad you're not the only one who isn't happy about Wren's constant presence. "It's kind of gross." she says, loud enough for her brother and Wren to hear.

"Sorry, Honey." Wren smiles.

Summer directs her attention to her, smiling guilty. "Uh, I just wanted to say, I'm sorry for crashing your final." she says, and you want to warn her, tell her that Wren is not someone she should be apologising to, but you can't exactly say anything in front of her and Ari.

"Oh, please don't worry about it," Wren says cooly. "Yeah, comp surfing's all about dealing with the unexpected. Like when someone steals your wax before a final." she smiles at Ari, who chuckles in response.

"Right, yeah that's actually how we met. We were at a comp, and she accidently used my wax." Ari explains, and you can't help but roll your eyes a little.

"Yeah, 'accidently'," Wren smiles. "Boys, right?"

"Right." Summer nods.

"He's just the best, y'know?" Wren looks up at her boyfriend.

"Hey, you're pretty great yourself." he replies, and Wren looks like she's about to respond again, doing that annoying thing couples do in movies where they alternate lines, but Summer speaks up.

"So, when's this barbecue happening?"

"Uh, yeah, in a bit." Ari says, seemingly remembering that you're all standing watching them. He only has eyes for Wren.

"Why don't you guys go outside while me and Ari finish some food stuff in the kitchen?" Wren offers, and you unfold your arms as you follow Summer outside.