Part 94 - Party Planning

"What about some chips?" Summer asks, running her hand along the edge of the supermarket shelves aimlessly. You've been wandering through the aisles for the last hour, throwing whatever deems necessary for a party into the shopping cart. It's late afternoon, and you're feeling a little unprepared for tonight as you imagine your house filled with people snacking on the heaps of food you've piled high in the cart, wrecking the house as they drink and dance. Maybe you didn't think this through.

"What, this type of chips?" you pull a bag from the shelves and hold them up for her to see.

"What other kind are there?" Summer replies, grabbing the bag from your hand and throwing it down in the cart.

"Hot chips?" you reply.

She smiles then scoffs. "What, fries? Why can't you people just call them the same as Americans do?"

"They call chips 'crisps' in England." you say, remembering something you saw on TV once.

"I know!" she laughs. "It's weird as hell."

You turn the shopping cart around the corner, into the alcohol aisle.

"Ooh, careful, Y/n, don't want a bottle of vodka to slip into your cart." She grins and raises her eyebrows a few times as she lifts a blue glass bottle off the shelf and waves it in your face.

"Summer, we can't have a party without alcohol," your voice quietens. "How are we going to buy it?"

"Dude, have you never thrown a party before?!" she exclaims in response, and you roll your eyes.

You haven't, but you didn't think it would be this complicated. You didn't know what time to tell people to arrive, you don't know how to organise the house, or what food and drink to buy.

"Relax, okay? I'm sure other people will bring it, and if not, I can always make an emergency dash and use my fake ID, alright?"

"You have a fake ID?" you reply, but in reality, it's Summer. You'd be more surprised if she didn't have a fake ID.

"Of course I do. Remember Team Bonding? You think Margot brought all that alcohol over from the states?" She grins. "And it helps that you only have to be 18 here to buy it."

"Okay, well, I think we've got enough food." you say, eyeing the nearly overflowing shopping cart below. It's full with party supplies, food, fizzy drinks, and you're not sure if you could get any more in if you tried. Your bank account is not going to like this.

"You invite everyone?" Summer asks as you reach the checkout, hauling the cans of fizzy drinks and bags of snacks onto the conveyor belt.

"Everyone I know, yep. And told them to invite whoever they know."

"Great, so I guess Wren will be coming." Summer mutters.

"Duh, she won't let Ari go anywhere she isn't."

After you've paid for the party stuff, you manage to carry all the bags between the two of you and head down the road to your house. Your weight tips to the side of the heavier bag as you reach the driveway leading up to your house, and you notice the lights are on in Marlon's bedroom. It's five o'clock, and your brother hasn't been at your house all day. It's almost like he waited for you to leave before heading inside.

After getting through the front door, you head straight to the kitchen and dump the bags on the countertop.

"Okay, so, people are going to start arriving at eight, so we've got three hours to sort the house out and get ready." Summer says, walking around the kitchen slowly as if she's sizing it up for some interior design venture.