Part 82 - Break Up

Summer and her mum end up taking the spare room, so you're left kind of stranded. Ari offers up his bed to you, but you refuse and say you'll take the couch. So, you do. It's not the comfiest option but you lay down some blankets and a couple of cushions at one end, and it ends up looking kind of cosy.

The rest of the house is silent, everyone settling down to sleep, and you're about to climb under the covers when footsteps approach into the living room.

"Y/n!" Summer whispers, slumping down on your freshly made 'bed'. "What's up?"

"What's up?" you repeat incredulously. "Summer, do you even remember what happened this evening?"

"What, you mean the nearly burning down of a rental house? Yeah, I remember." she says, but it's clear she's trying not to smile.

"Is your mum pissed?"

Summer shrugs. "She probably will be in the morning. I think she's too stressed about work at the moment. Not to mention Abbie and Thommo were trying to set her up with one of their friends this evening."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah. I don't think they really hit it off though. Margot only has one space in her heart, and that's reserved for work," she says light-heartedly, but there's something in her face which suggests there's a hint of jealousy or discontent when it comes to discussing her mum's busy work life. "Okay, listen, I feel like Baxter being an idiot with the barbecue kind of distracted us from discussing the details of our plan."

You roll your eyes. "Summer, I feel like you're getting a little bit hung up on this plan. I thought we were just going to, I don't know-" you shrug. "Try and catch Wren out or something. When she's being a bitch."

"Yeah, but we need to do something to make her act all possessive and jealous and stuff," she pulls out her phone. "For example," she reads from her phone – she must have really thought this through to be making notes in her spare time, you think. "If we start hanging out with Ari more, she's totally going to get jealous."

"Right, so you're saying we hang out with Ari for no other reason than to annoy his girlfriend."

"Well, no. But look, we need to get Wren away from him. And we also need to make him realise what a terrible person she is, so he makes his own choice to break up with her."

"He didn't even believe us about her accusing me of pulling her into the pool when I didn't - he's not going to believe us about anything over her."

"Which is why we need cold hard evidence," Summer nods. She's thought of everything. "We can record her."

"Doing what?" you press, feeling bad for trying to find faults in Summer's plan, but her current one is not the best idea.

"Being a horrible person!" Summer responds, then an idea appears to pop into her mind. She gasps, standing up, pointing one finger at you. "We could take her phone!"

"Why?"

"Because she hates us, so she's bound to have talked to like, Elo about us or something. There's got to be proof that she's a bitch to us for no reason on there."

"Okay, I'm pretty sure that's illegal." you reply, and Summer sighs. "And also, when would we ever get the chance to steal her phone, let alone manage to log in without a passcode."

"Okay, well. There's only one other way to make Ari break up with her."

You wait expectantly for her to answer, but she just smiles wryly, guiltily.

"We make him jealous." she mutters, her voice rising at the end.

"Summer-"

"No, no, no, hear me out, okay?" she says quickly, sitting back down on the couch and crossing her legs. "You just need to hang around with a guy or something, y'know, flirt a little. And make sure Ari sees!"