Part 61 - Trouble

You debate whether to give up on this altogether when you catch a glimpse of Ari next to Summer, obviously having been sent to bring her back to her mum. Your apprehensiveness makes you feel guilty; it's like the comfort and safety you used to feel with him has been sucked out of your relationship.

But at the end of the day, you need to talk to both of them, so you throw your board down on the shallow water and paddle out over the small waves beginning to form.

"Y/n-" Ari starts as he sees you coming towards him.

"Ari, I've told Y/n that what happened was just a spur of the moment thing," Summer interrupts. "It's not a big deal."

You hope Ari will say something, be pleased that you're even talking to him, but he just glances between you two, looking so guilty you feel like you need to save him.

"No!" He says, slightly high pitched. "No, no, it is a big deal, that never should have happened."

A look of hurt flashes across Summers's face but she seems to shake it off.

"Ari, it's cool." You say. As long as he didn't mean it, it didn't matter, right? Maybe you're just saying it to deflect from talking to him further.

"Are you sure? Cos-" he starts, but you don't really want to have this conversation right now. Not in front of Summer.

"Yes, anyway, we can talk later, right?" You say, and he nods hesitantly.

"So, what are you doing out here?" you ask, plastering on what you hope is a convincing smile.

"I've been sent to get Summer," he says, turning to the other girl. "Your mum is not happy."

"I know. But an hour or so isn't gonna make a difference. I thought I'd enjoy the waves while I'm here." she shrugs - how can she care so little about this? Her mum did not seem like the lenient type, especially after flying all the way to Australia to pick up her daughter.

"What waves? It's pretty flat out here." he replies, to which Summer rolls her eyes.

"Whatever," she says flatly, but suddenly perks up when the sound of a horn blares out across the shore. "Hey look, Bodhi's starting her heat. C'mon Bodhs!" Summer shouts, clapping with her hands above her head. She paddles forward to get a better view of the heat. Whilst she's distracted, Ari leans towards you, whispering softly.

"I am so sorry. I don't know what happened-"

"Ari. It's fine." you say, trying to focus on the competition, watching Bodhi catch a pretty nice 4-foot wave. You're also trying not to let Summer hear you.

"No, it's not fine. That never should have happened." he hisses.

"Guys, look, Bodhi's winning." Summer says with a smile, before throwing her hands up in the air and cheering for her friend.

You hear the announcer from the shore declare that Bodhi's in first place, and you watch as she continues to catch wave after wave. As she's paddling back out she sits back on her board and you, Summer and Ari shout encouragement at her, which she smiles at, but there's something wrong.

She looks straight ahead, and suddenly she's falling, fast, off the side of her board into the water. You and the other two look at each other, looking panicked before there's a flurry of splashes and tangled limbs as the three of you paddle frantically towards your friend, who is now face down in the sea.

"Bodhi!" you yell as Summer manages to lift Bodhi's head above water, desperately treading water to keep them both afloat.

"HELP!" Ari yells, facing the shore and waving his arms frantically to get anyone's attention.