Part 79 - Deception: Part 2

You turn the corner, hoping to catch Ari and ask him what the hell just happened with Marlon, and ask who was in the room, but he's gone.

Making your way outside, you're suddenly surprised to hear the awful hip-hop music Summer had on earlier has been replaced with even worse slow-dancing music. And for some reason, everyone seems to be enjoying it.

Including Ari and Wren. She has her head on his shoulder, and they're swaying in time to the song. Something about it makes your stomach burn with indignation.

"I think it's time for a change of pace." you hear Summer mutter from behind you, and you turn to see her subtly switch tracks on the speaker.

"Thank you," you say, but Ari and Wren are apparently oblivious to the change in music - they've stopped swaying now, but their foreheads are pressed together and they seem to be lost in each other's arms. "What are they doing?" you ask Summer, who shrugs.

"No idea," she replies, staring at them. "But, hey, I know how to put a stop to this." she says with a side smile. You watch as she makes her way over to the trampoline by the pool, and begins jumping. "Who wants to practise some airs! Hey, you guys can judge me!" she says excitedly to a couple of bystanders.

You know that, in reality, there's a million different ways this could go wrong, but if it gets Ari and Wren away from each other, you don't care.

An excited murmur shoots through the crowd, and they begin gathering at the pool edge, waiting for Summer to jump, Ari and Wren included.

"Oh, hey Cap!" Summer shouts to her, a little patronisingly. "Just practising some airs!"

Wren doesn't reply, but looks a little irritated, crossing her arms and glaring up at Summer expectantly. And when Summer executes a perfect aerial into the water, earning her a score of three 9s from the 'judges', Wren's face goes from irritated to downright mad.

Summer paddles over to the edge of the pool, and you watch as Wren leans down to Summer, muttering something incomprehensible. Something that Summer obviously doesn't like.

"What's that Wren?!" she exclaims loudly in response. "Of course you can have a go!" she yells, and you almost laugh out loud - it's clear Wren obviously did not ask to have a go, and Summer is clearly messing with her. But Wren doesn't miss a beat.

"Actually, yeah, you're right, Summer. In fact I think we should all have a go! The whole team!" Wren says. "This is Team Bonding, after all, right?" she spares a quick glance at you, her eyes narrow. "And as captain, I nominate Y/n as the next person to jump."

Summer's smile drops - this obviously wasn't her plan. You're not worried, though. No matter what you do, surely you can't embarrass yourself as much as Wren would, right? She's clearly just buying time.

Wren glares expectantly at you, and you can't let her win - if you back out now, it would look like you're scared. And you're not. Especially not of Wren, so you shrug. "Yeah, sure."

You take off your shoes, pull yourself up onto the trampoline, feeling it wobble precariously on the wet tiles below. It doesn't feel safe, but Summer managed it, right? It can't be that bad. You begin jumping, feeling the suspense in the air as everyone watches. Thank god Marlon went home, you think. He probably would have stopped you from doing this as soon as Wren suggested it. After a few seconds of bouncing, you decide to just go for it, and tuck your knees in tightly as you flip forward, feeling your body hit the water a second later.

It doesn't hurt when you hit it, so you must have done something right, and you let yourself rise to the surface with ease. When your face hits the fresh air, you push the hair out of your eyes and tread water for a second, hearing some cheers and applause from around the pool.

You swim over to where you stood earlier, only to find Wren is there, crouched down at the pool edge like she was with Summer.

"Not bad," she says as you reach the edge. "Let me help you out." she extends a hand, and you take it cautiously - it's not like Wren to be helpful, selfless. And you're right to be weary; she nearly crushes your hand in hers, before letting out a shriek and falling next to you into the water. You jump up on the side of the pool in surprise, dripping water everywhere.

You share a confused glance at Summer, who you hope saw the whole thing.

"Wren, are you alright?!" Ari rushes forward, reaching out a hand for Wren as she treads water, a pained look on her face.

"No, no, I twisted my ankle!" she shrieks. "Y/n pulled me in and I twisted it."

Ari turns to you in surprise, a startled look on his face.

"What the hell?!" you reply, and you feel Summer come up behind you, a show that she's on your side - you turn to her. "You saw it, right? I didn't pull her!"

"Yeah, she's right, she didn't," Summer replies, and you feel a sudden rush of gratitude. "Wren must have just fallen." she says, although she doesn't sound convinced. She knows what Wren did, surely. You just don't have any proof.

But no one seems to notice you or Summer - Bodhi goes off to get Wren some ice, whilst Ari helps his girlfriend out of the pool and onto a pool chair. It's ridiculous. You're not sure if Wren actually twisted her ankle, but if she did it was undoubtedly karma for trying to get you in trouble.

"What was that about?" Ari says in a low, walking over to you and Summer.

"Um, that was your girlfriend trying to cause trouble again." Summer says, and you're thankful for her support. You can't imagine trying to fight your own corner if she hadn't seen what Wren did.

"I can't believe you guys!" Ari exclaims suddenly, and you narrow your eyes at him.

"Excuse me?!" you reply incredulously, and he scoffs.

"Why do you guys have this thing against Wren?"

"Why do we have a thing against Wren? Ari, that girl has something against us!" Summer yells back. "Me, because I crashed her heat then made the State Team-"

"Understandable." Ari interrupts, and Summer rolls her eyes before continuing.

"And Y/n, because you and her had a thing last year." she hisses.

Ari scoffs. "I don't think she even knows about that!"

"She does," you reply. "And hang on, Ari, are you saying you didn't tell her yourself? Really trusting relationship you have."

That seems to shut him up. He sighs for a moment, shoving his hands in his pockets. "I only didn't tell her because I didn't want things to be weird between us, or between you guys." he says, and it seems genuine, although you can't tell what Ari's thinking these days. Not whilst he's been brainwashed by Wren.