Part 96 - Fight

"Pops, what's wrong?!" you yell after her, sprinting down the driveway, trying to get a grasp of what is going on. You feel a few spots of rain bounce off your head, and follow Poppy around the corner onto the road.

What you see makes your heart skip a beat.

Marlon and Griff - fighting. Both of them a tangle of limbs on the ground, but Griff is the only one throwing punches now. It looks like Marlon put up a bit of a fight before - Griff has a red and swollen eye, and a split lip from the look of it, but now he appears to have the upper hand.

"Oi!" Ari yells, and you realise him and Baxter must have followed you and Poppy onto the road - they both run past you and manage to pull Griff off of Marlon, who is sprawled on the floor now. You don't hesitate in going straight to your brother.

Ari and Baxter hold back Griff as he breathes heavily, although you can't distinguish it from Marlon's ragged breaths below. You're scared to look, to assess the damage. Things must have gotten really bad really quickly.

Poppy is crying. You only know because you can hear her soft sobs on the other side of Marlon as she tries to see to his wounds, running a hand through his hair comfortingly. Her tears are disguised by the heavy rain which is now pelting down on you. You had no idea she cared so much.

"Go home, mate." Baxter says to Griff quietly, but threateningly cold. He releases his grip roughly, giving Griff a sharp shove in the direction of the road leading away from the house. Griff shakes his head, looking like he could yell numerous expletives at both Marlon and Baxter, but instead begins strutting along the road, followed by two of his friends.

You look down at your unconscious brother - Griff did a real number on him, his face a mess of black and blue bruises, and a trail of blood is running down the side of his face from a jagged gash by his hairline.

"Mars?" you whisper gently, cupping one side of his face with your hand as his head rocks to the side

"What the hell is going on?!" Summer comes running from the driveway two seconds later, then stops short when she takes in the scene before her. "What on earth...?" she mutters under her breath, the rain pelting down how.

You feel hands touch your bare shoulders from behind you as Baxter squeezes your arms comfortingly.

"Goldy," he says, taking charge and motioning for Ari to come closer. "Get his other side."

Ari doesn't hesitate, and the two boys haul your brother to his feet. He seems to be awake now, a little out of it, but with the support of the other two boys he manages to limp down the driveway. You and Poppy follow close behind, and you squeeze her arm.

The breeze is cold now as the evening has faded into night.

"Summer, go tell them the party's over." Bax nods in the direction of the garden, where there's still music blasting and people dancing, drunk and oblivious.

You follow Bax and Ari into the living room, where they lie Marlon on the couch.

Bodhi and Wren hang back at the edge of the room, Wren's hand resting on Bodhi's arm. They must have heard the commotion and come to see what's going on.

"I'll go get some ice." Ari says, and rushes out of the room towards the kitchen, leaving you, Baxter and Poppy.

You open the top buttons of Marlon's shirt and peel it back to assess the damage. Looks like Griff got a few hits on his chest too.

"I'm fine." he grits out.

"You're not fine." you respond, slightly louder than you'd hoped. "Just let me help you."