Real Life or Virtual Reality

The thing about marriage is that once you are, your inventories combine and nothing is private anymore but as someone who used to be a solo player, I don't care anymore. A year ago, I only thought about clearing the game and that's it's every man for themselves.

  I stood in the guild hall and walked up the long and winding staircase. I made my way to Heathcliff's room. I hesitantly placed my hand on the door and opened it. I sighed quickly before standing in front of him.

  "Yes, Harmony. Is there something you need?" He said in a calm voice.

  I stood up straight and with as much power and authority I could manage, I said, "As the guild's veteran, I would like to take a leave of absence."

  "And why may I ask?"

  "For personal reasons." I replied casually.

  "Very well then. But I know you won't be gone for long." His words put a tiny fear in my heart but I quickly dismissed it. I turned around and walked outside to the orange light of sunset and where Klein was waiting for me. I jumped into his arms and kissed his cheek.

  "I'm guessing he said yes?" Klein laughed.

  "Yup! Now we can spend as much time together as possible."

  And now here we are living together on the 24th floor in Panareze. Together we bought a small and people-friendly cottage. I sat down on the main couch and leaned back.

  Klein sat next to me and put his arm around my shoulder.

  "Y'know, let's have some fun." I said.

  "Oh yeah? What kind of fun?" He said, seductively.

  "I was thinking that we should go sightseeing and all. Y'know get a feel of our new home."

  "Yeah, I guess so. But that view is just spectacular all on it's own."

  "But I wanna go see everything first-hand, it's much better that way." I whined.

  "Fine. How about tomorrow?"

  "Great." I said.

  I jumped into bed next to my husband and snuggled under the covers. It wasn't really that cold but it felt like it was. It's a shame that this was a game and we had never met in the real world like this. I looked towards Klein who was already fast asleep. I pulled in closer and smiled to myself. I closed my eyes and fell asleep.

  I stood on the balcony of our home in Panareze and smiled from ear to ear. The view was amazing you couldn't possibly soak it all in at once. Light running footsteps came up running behind me and a little girl came into my field of vision. "Mommy, mommy!" She said. "I wanna go play!" I held the tiny hand that pulled on my shirt. "Mommy!" She continued to whine.

  "Fine, fine. Let's go play."

  I picked up the girl and carried her out by the lake then set her down. She laughed and screamed as she played around the bank.

  "Don't go into the water." I warned.

  "Okay, Mommy."

  After hours of playing around she gave up and ran into my arms. "Mommy, I'm hungry."

  "Alright." I held her hand and took her back to the house, I gave her a slice of pie and she munched it happily. She was the most adorable child I had ever seen. I didn't understand how she was apart of the system.

  I squinted in bright daylight and faced the windows shining with light. I shot out of bed remembering that Klein and I were supposed to go sightseeing today. I turned around and Klein was still dead asleep. I shook him vigorously.

  "Klein! Wake up!" I yelled.

  "What is it?" He groaned.

  "Remember? We're going out today!" I said happily. "Now get up!"

  After about 5 minutes we were ready and we went out to scope our new home. It was a beautiful place with the bright blue skies and glimmering water. I smiled left and right and marveled at everything I saw. I was overwhelmed with joy. I sat down and Klein sat next me. "Hungry?" I asked.

  "Very."

  I opened my menu and took out two sandwiches. "It might not be much." I handed him one and ate mine. I put away the box and sat there for a while. I laid back on the soft green and looked up at the light streaming through the tree above me. Although, I do want to get out of here, at the same time I never want to leave. It was just too amazing. Klein laid back next to me. I turned to my side to face him.

  "Klein?"

  He turned over. "Yeah?" He smiled brightly.

  "Thank you for being here with me. I never want to let you go."

  I took his hand and intertwined our fingers.

  "Me neither." I stood up again and stretched and Klein did too.

  "Hey, get on my shoulders." He said.

  "But why?" I asked, confused.

  "Why does there have to be a reason? C'mon." He knelt down and I sat on his shoulders. We made our way around with laughs and non-stop talking.

  As we made our way through Panareze we stopped in silence. In the distance, I could see the small figure of a little girl who was probably 8 years old. How did a child so young get here?

  "Hey. Do you see that?" I asked.

  "Yeah. I do." Klein quickly made his way to the little girl in no time flat. As soon as I could see the child's facial features, a chill went down my spine. It was the exact same little girl from my dreams. I backflipped off Klein and stood next to him. "Excuse me. Are you alright?"

  She wearily turned her head towards us and said nothing. She looked like she was about to pass out. The weird thing was that she had no cursor like all the other players. "Where's your family?" I asked. I still got no response.

  "I've been out here for too long. I must regenerate, but it wastes too much energy from the system and could endanger lives."

  Klein and I exchanged glances. What is she talking about? Apparently, she'd been in here too long and it made her delirious.

  "I'm looking for Yui-MHCP001. She escaped from the cardinal system and I must bring her back at once."

  Maybe a little too delirious. "We haven't seen the girl you're looking for. But can you tell us your name?"

  "Name? I...it was... Aiko."