13. No Hope

The sweet aroma of fermenting honey lingered in the atmosphere

The sweet aroma of fermenting honey lingered in the atmosphere. It grew stronger the more you walked as if you both were a couple of eager hound dogs hunting the trail of a wounded animal. Not much longer you two stumble upon a bluff and at the base of it inhabited a rather large rural factory. "This way," Loki whispered as he slid down the side of the cliff. You quickly follow behind. Plumes of vibrant yellow dust get booted up into the air when reaching the bottom; causing a foggy haze to impair your vision. Once the sand cleared, you're able to notice an elder gentleman in the distance with lengthy white hair peering out of his hat. He appeared to be working next to the mead mill, a barrel of ale beneath his hands.

"Jon!" Loki yelled recognizing him, striding over to the old man.

Jon's head darted up with inquisitiveness to Loki's booming voice. "How do you know my name? Who are you?" His words were shaky.

"I am Loki of Asgard and I am here to request your assistance to free the Askaba out of this mortal's arm!"

"You have the Askaba relic?" Jon questioned in amazement.

"Yes, it is in their arm." Loki grabbed your hand, drawing you close.

Jon took hold of your right arm and began to observe it carefully. As it fell quiet you break the silence. "How did you end up working at a brewery?"

"With all Helheim breaking loose recently, I said 'screw it' and dropped everything to live off the land producing and ingesting booze all day." He slightly chuckled to himself as if relishing the thought of his new concept of living.

"Do you think you can remove it?" Loki asked franticly.

"I don't think I can..."

"What?!" Loki cried in disbelief. "You're the only one in the entire nine realms that have the magic to do such a thing!"

"Let me explain why I can no longer remove it. You see, the relic keeps expanding, like how crystals form. It has the moment it entered their bloodstream. It looks like it has been growing inside them for over half a decade, which I'm not sure how it could evolve so fast. Because it has developed so much within the mortal body, they will die if I attempt to extract it." It felt like the world had stopped for a second after he stated that. It was tough to process the reality of the situation, for the fun-filled adventure has shifted into a bigger and scarier problem. The fact you were going to die no matter what. Either he risks removing it or letting it continue to expand and eradicate you...Coming all this way, all this time, losing years of your life to find out you can't be saved. No surgery. No magic. Nothing was capable of rescuing you. Not even the god who stuck by your side the whole journey. The thoughts of it all engulfed your mind more than the relic itself.

"So that's it?" Loki spoke, "(Name) just dies? There's nothing we can do? It's too late?" He became desperate.

"I'm sorry...I know you must've come a long way, especially from Asga-"

Loki cut him off from his sentence by raising his hand in a fist, lifting Jon from his feet in a floating manner without touching him, being suffocated in the air by some sort of angry force. You have never seen Loki in such turmoil, it frightened you to see him release this kind of blind rage. "You will help them!" He demanded.

"I won't kill a living creature!" Jon struggled to say.

The transparent grasp around the elderly man's throat seemed to tighten until you had to intervene. "Loki! Leave the man alone!" You shouted. Finally, Loki listened and dismissed the death grip, dropping Jon to the ground. "He means nothing to us now. He can't help so let's leave him be." You took Loki's hand walking off, "I am so sorry he did that. Thank you for all the help you've given us." You say to Jon as he hyperventilates in the backdrop.

"What are we going to do (Name)?" Asked Loki once he calmed down after walking a bit.

"I don't know. It's like starting from ground zero...AGAIN."

"We can't afford this again."

"Why does this keep happening?"

"I don't know...Maybe if we go back to Asgard, Odin will know." Loki sighed in the disappointment of his final option.

"He didn't seem very interested the last time we saw him. Why is this mess solely your responsibility? Why was it a burden left on your plate?"

"Because I betrayed Asgard sometime ago, then the gods and goddess powers became altered once the relic got pierced inside your hand right after, so Odin made it my job to resolve this problem as a chance to redeem my damage in the past."

"Why is no one helping?"

"A lot believe this was supposed to happen, that this is the start to Ragnarök. Others are just consumed in fear and don't know what to do."

Everything sank to stillness, to the point of contemplating ideas on the next action. Moments pass and an idea crosses Loki. "Okay, I may have a last resort option."

"Go on..."

"There is a small market within the villages of Asgard, full of enchantment. We might be able to negotiate with some individuals there about withdrawing the fragment."

"Loki!"

"What?"

"Last time we did insufficient things like that we ended up in the wrong realm at the wrong time, what makes you think this is a good idea? Especially in a marketplace?" You ask suddenly feeling lightheaded almost losing balance and a surge of discomfort striking your arm.

"What do we truly have to lose at this point? Let's get back to Asgard and see what we can do." Loki said catching you. Your veins began to illuminate a mossy green color almost giving you a nauseated impression that has never been seen before. It terrorized Loki as it let him know the conditions of the relic were only getting worse.