20. Faith of the Void

At dawn, you awake to the persistent patter of rain upon the top of the shelter, droplets yet to disperse the developing rays of the rising sun

At dawn, you awake to the persistent patter of rain upon the top of the shelter, droplets yet to disperse the developing rays of the rising sun. The sound brought a feeling of peace to the mind, a gentle tune. With eyes at rest, you live heartily within yourself for this divine instant of seclusion. Shortly, you returned to the moment and the music of the drizzling rain started to quiet down. You peek over to your left and saw a black fox in a curled fashion, sound asleep. You were startled the first second when noticing, considering you didn't fall asleep next to a little critter, but rather yet a mighty god. You reached your hand out and began petting the animal. His soft furry back twitched to the friction of your hand and suddenly blinked his eyes open. His familiar emerald green eyes glowed and locked onto yours. "Good morning Loki." You calmly greeted the fox, being used to him changing forms unexpectedly by now.

"And to you (Name)." He grinned with a sly smirk.

"I know you didn't fall asleep looking like that." You laughed.

The little fox looked down at his paws and yelped. "Shit! I must've changed in the middle of my sleep."

"I want to say it was an hour ago, I thought I felt you switch against my back. I thought it was just a dream at first."

"That sounds accurate, these mini-shifts don't last very long."

Loki vacated the shelter and you pursued behind. When you were fully outside and able to stand up straight, the raven-haired man changed back into his stunningly handsome self. This made you smile greatly and the memories of the previous night came flooding back to your senses. "Last night was simply incredi-" You got interrupted by Loki grabbing the nape of your neck and delicately caressing your hair, drawing you in for a lustful kiss. You could tell he agreed with your unfinished sentence by the motions of his tongue encasing yours.

He pulled away and his lascivious face fell to a more serious one. "I'm afraid this may be your last day alive." You stood silent as it felt like his remark was stuck on an old record spewing the same notes on repeat. Your brain stuttered for a second and it brought a quietude within, a moment to feel your emotions change gear and ready your soul for what is to come. Loki noticed your shocked demeanor and tried continuing the conversation. "We need to get a move on and head to the marketplace. We shouldn't keep Eitri waiting." You and Loki side by side walked out of the forest and towards the busy streets of the market.

"Am I actually going to die?" You finally found the words to speak.

"I don't wish to scare you, but it is very likely."

"What happens if I die?"

"I am not too sure, but I will make sure you have a proper burial."

"What if I live?"

"That will be for you to decide. Either you go back to Midgard and live your normal life, or you stay here in Asgard with me."

There was a brief pause of silence before you answered. "I think I would prefer to stay in Asgard."