7. Explaining The Truth (Part-1)

AUTHOR'S POV:

It was now time for the 218 graduated cadets to choose regiment. The sun had already set. It was night time.

"Trainees, line up! Line up in front of the stage!" One soilder shouted.

They began moving, following the man's directions.

"Line up before the stage!"

Torches lit up the courtyard as the trainees stood at attention before the stage where the tall, blond-haired man stood. He began speaking. This time, Eren was there too. He was listening carefully. He was a bit happy too to see the Commander again.

"I am Erwin Smith, Commander of the Survey Corps. Today, you will choose a branch of the military. Putting it bluntly,"

Erwin peered down at them, "I'm here to persuade you to join the Survey Corps. As you all know, titans are terrifying."

Some of the trainees, including Armin and Mikasa, stood blank-faced while others, including Sasha and Connie, were staring nervously.

"As all of you saw and heard," the commander said, "today that mysterious titan sealed the gate by turning itself into stone."

"Unlike the Collosal and Armour titan, the mysterious titan is undoubtedly a great ally to humanity. It sealed the gate and prevented another titan invasion."

"May be if we learn and find out more about that titan, then we could win back Wall Maria."

"The four years we spent laying a route for a full-scale army have gone to waste. In those four years, more than sixty percent of the Survey Corps lost their lives. Sixty percent in four years. An insane figure."

"Those of you who join us will participate in our excursion beyond the walls next month. We expect thirty percent won't return. In four years, most will be dead." Whispers had picked up once again. "But those who make it through will become superior soldiers with a high survival rate."

No one looked eager to join.

"Now you know the discouraging facts. Any of you still willing to risk your lives, remain here," Erwin said.

Mikasa stared ahead, expressionless, while Armin looked determined. Eren was deep in thoughts. Sasha and Connie didn't look too terribly thrilled. Annie was stoic as usual. Jean wasn't playing attention as he had already planned to join the M.P.. Thomas and Mina were a bit nervous too.

"Ask yourselves: Are you willing to offer your beating hearts for humanity?" Commander added.

The trainees were mostly intimidated.

"That is all. Anyone who wishes to join another branch is dismissed."

"Commander," one of the Scouts took a few steps forward.

"Don't you think that was too much? You might have scared them all off," he said worriedly.

Many trainees, including Annie, Jean and Marco began to leave. Bert watched them nervously.

'Am I making the right choice by joining the Survey Crops ?... I came here to join the M.P.... but as Eren said, someone has to do the sacrifice play so that others could live... I will join the Survey Crops.. It's final..' Sasha thought. She looked determined now.

"Could you...die if you're ordered to?" Erwin asked.

"We don't want to die!" Someone yelled.

"I see," Erwin smiled. "I like the looks on your faces." Then his voice became louder and stronger, "Now then, I welcome all of you to the Survey Corps! This is a true salute! Offer up your hearts!" He saluted.