Chapter 5

Harry felt embarrassed when he woke up, realising he had slept on Hermione, though she assured him that it was fine. If she had been annoyed or uncomfortable about it then she would have woken him up and told him to move. Besides, it's not like his position had changed while he was asleep so she had a lot of time to ask him to move.

They, and the rest of the Gryffindors had all of their lessons together, though they didn't have many with Slytherin, which means that Harry wouldn't get to see Draco very often. During breakfast, lunch, and dinner they had to eat in the Great Hall, where everyone was separated into the house tables, and they didn't exactly have long breaks.

"We have potions this afternoon." Hermione noted, sounding a little disappointed.

"My brothers said that Professor Snape is the worst, we should make sure we go through the textbook before the lesson." Ron said, making eye contact with Hermione.

They were quite certain that nothing they did would make Snape like Harry enough to even treat him like a generic student, though it seemed like their year was an especially sore point for the abusive teacher. After Harry's death even people who didn't really know him or care especially about him were sad about his death.

Everyone, except Snape.

He was never a loud person, so it's not like he was cheering from the rooftops, but he had about a week of being kinder to everyone, and if he thought nobody was looking he would occasionally smile in a sickening way. It was like he was eager for Harry's death.

That being said, they could do their best to not let Harry get embarrassed in front of everyone in his first lesson, but it was hardly impossible for Harry to not have memorised the answers or for Snape to ask questions that he hadn't last time if Harry was able to answer correctly.

There were other strict teachers, but other than Snape they were all pretty fair, and wouldn't expect anyone to have memorised anything by the first lesson. They hoped Harry could have a better time at Hogwarts this time around, not having to worry about Voldemort breathing down his neck.

It was then that the owls arrived.

Hedwig flew down to Harry, which was only to be expected, she had always been oddly fond of Harry for an owl, though Harry was also kinder to her than most wixes were to their owls as he saw her as a pet and friend, but what was surprising was that she had a letter. Sure, before the end of the week Hagrid would be writing to Harry, but this was only their first day.

"Hey Hedwig, how are you?" Harry asked, not seeming to have noticed the letter she was holding, and giving her half of a piece of bacon on his plate which she ate quite happily, nuzzling into his hand slightly.

"What does the letter say?" Ron asked, genuinely curious.

"Hm?" Harry asked, looking at Ron before he realised that Hedwig had brought him a letter, looking a little confused. "Oh, yeah it's definitely for me."

Of course the letter was for Harry, Hedwig was one of the smartest owls that Ron and Hermione knew. She would happily fly long distances for Harry, and would always bring letters straight to their recipient. She was the only owl that they knew 100% of the time delivered their letters to Harry, and it seemed like Dumbledore didn't know the contents of the letters sent through her, so she was also good at avoiding interception.

"Well you're not going to know who it's from or what it's about unless you open it." Hermione said, also feeling very eager to know what the letter was about. She was excited to see if it was someone else who remembered the last time.

Harry opened it.

Dear Harry, 
I know that you likely don't remember me, but I knew you when you were little, I have been trying to get in contact with you since then, but I don't think you got any of my letters. This evening, your owl came to me so I figured I would try to write to you again. 
My name is Remus Lupin, I was a friend of your parents and while I'm not the person who was assigned the role of your godfather, I may as well have been, your parents even called your godfather and myself your uncles. 
I don't know if you want to talk to me, but if you do then please send a reply with a time that works for you, we can meet at Hogwarts, I know Professor McGonagall. 
Your uncle, 
Remus Lupin.