Kots and Wolves

Stiles walked out of the elevator and into Derek's spacious loft. "There you are man, we've been waiting forever!", Scott exclaimed. "It's been 10 minutes since you sent 'emergency meeting' in the group chat. And the only reason you guys are here quicker is because you're all magical creatures.", Stiles retorted. He leaned against the table once he got to it, using one arm to prop himself up. "You smell like cat.", Malia said bluntly. "Do you even own a cat?", Issac asked. "No, but Danny does and I was just at his house. And she's the most adorable kitten ever! Plus she smells good.", Stiles answered.

"OKAY. We need to get down to business. There appears to be a new pack trying to come into Beacon Hills. We need to keep them out and protect our territory.", Derek started. "Wait why can't we just share the 'territory'?", Scott asked, stupidly. "Because it's my family's territory and has been for many generations. And as my pack, you all are the current Hale family, blood related or not.", Derek replied.

"I say we just kick them out the hard way.", Malia said. "No! No violence.", Stiles reminded her. She only rolled her eyes and pouted in response. Soon, everyone but Derek was arguing about how to keep the outsiders at bay. Suddenly, leather crunched and squeaked as Derek crossed his arms, taking an 'Alpha' stance and giving his iconic scowl. "We can decide later on whether or not we will remain peaceful. I say we leave that up to them to decide if they're going to be a threat or not.", he said. Everyone seemed to agree that they should talk to them first and then choose a course of action. Everyone but Stiles who was now staring off into space.

"Stiles, you okay buddy?", Scott asked. "You're acting really weird Stiles. And that's considering the fact that you're normally pretty weird.", Lydia added. "Hmm? Oh, yeah I'm fine.", Stiles responded lazily. Everyone started heading back home, Except for Scott who stopped Stiles in the gravel outside to talk to him.

"What is it?", Stiles asked. "Earlier, you mentioned that Danny's cat smelled really good. What did you mean by that? You don't have super smell like the rest of us, excluding Lydia, so I was just wondering what you meant. It caught me off guard.", Scott asked. "Oh. I don't know, she just smells really good. I just like the way cats smell. But not dogs. And you guys smell kinda weird too lately because you remind me of dogs. Except for Lydia. And Malia's a little better.", Stiles said. Scott just stood there confused and a bit offended. Finally, he said "Oh ok."

****

Over the next couple days, Stiles's sense of smell got increasingly sensitive and he couldn't stand to be around any animals that were canines. Everyone in the pack smelled weird too but it wasn't as bad. Stiles figured it was because they were still part human.

Nevertheless, Stiles got distant from the pack. It seemed the only people in the pack who didn't smell weird were Lydia, himself, and Derek. Although he couldn't explain why Derek didn't smell bad since he was a canine creature and that went against Stiles' whole theory. In fact, Derek smelled better than he ever had. And Stiles found himself wanting to inhale all of it, wanting to be constantly near him and touching him, wanting to have him. But he couldn't let anyone know that so he kept his distance as much as he could.

The pack started noticing Stiles' absence not to long after Stiles started distancing himself. And he didn't know how to tell them it was because they smelled weird. Or that he suddenly got the feeling that they were dirty and uncivilized. Stiles also didn't want them around because he knew they would notice his peculiar changes in behavior. Changes like wanting to catch small birds, needing to always feel perfectly clean, sleeping more often, his newfound agility, cravings for fish, and most embarrassingly: that weird noise he makes that sounds like purring when he gets too happy, excited, or content.

Just the other day, he accidentally started to purr when he was eating a slice of cheesecake. He's just lucky his father was at the station when that happened.

****

"Stiles this is an intervention!", Scott declared. Lydia rolled her eyes, Peter sighed, Malia made a face, Isaac just nodded along, and Derek put his head in his hands. "What?", Stiles said confused. Stiles buried his head in the pillow he was holding on his lap, trying to block out the smell of werewolves. "What he means is, you've been acting really weird and we demand an explanation.", Jackson said. "Yeah, what's up with you and your sudden distance. Are you hiding something from us?", Aiden asked. Everyone stared at him expectantly waiting for his answer as they stood around him. Stiles himself was seated on his couch.

"I'm sorry, I just feel weird lately.", Stiles said. "What do you mean you feel weird?", Malia asked. "Does this have something to do with when you told me that the rest of us smelled weird like dogs?", Scott added with a curious look. "Excuse me, what? We smell like dogs to you?", Ethan cut in. "Well... It's just every canine creature smells weird. It's not your guys' fault. I think something's just wrong with me.", Stiles answered. "What do you mean all canine creatures? Do you need to see Deaton or something?", Derek asked. "That does seem kinda magical creature-like.", Peter added.

****

Eventually, they brought Stiles to Deaton. Albeit, against his will. "So what are your symptoms?", Deaton asked as Stiles stood on the opposite end of the animal clinic's table.

Stiles began telling Deaton about all his weird new behaviors. The purring and agility seemed to really peak the vet's interest. Eventually, Deaton brought Stiles out into the main room where everyone else was patiently waiting.

"Okay everyone. First, I'd like you to know that I've given aid to the other pack as requested. They should be leaving Beacon Hills soon. Secondly, you'll be pleased to hear that Stiles is in no danger. Thirdly, Stiles is a Kot.", Deaton announced. "Kot means cat in Polish. So I think you can guess what kind of creature Stiles is. This is proven by his distaste for canine creatures, his recent discovery of agility, and purring."

"I'm sorry, did you say that Stiles purrs?", Lydia asked. "Yes. And he'll be able to do a lot more than purr soon enough.", Deaton answered.

"So why didn't we know what he was before?", Scott asked. "I mean, I've known him my whole life and he used to love dogs.", he explained. "Yes well, that's because Kots don't gain their supernatural traits until they connect with a cat counterpart that acts as a spiritual guide for them while they turn. For Stiles, this is most likely Danny's cat. Hence why she would smell so good, because Stiles recognizes her as family." Everyone was confused but then Deaton explained a bit more and then went over what would happen to Stiles next.

****

When Stiles got home, he wrote down what was bound to happen to him as he turned. Glowing green eyes, retractable claws, super hearing and smell, extreme agility and speed (beyond even the werewolves), and seeing as he was most likely a water kot: the ability to hold his breath for up to 4 hours, the ability to bend water, heal himself using water (like in the Percy Jackson movies), wonderful swimming ability, and the ability to extract memories from water. Deaton could tell he was a water kot because of the fish cravings. Soon he'd also hate being dry for too long, especially when it's hot out, and he'd need to drink more water than a regular human.

Stiles finished writing everything down and got ready for bed. How was he supposed to explain to his father that his mom was secretly a kot and now Stiles was too? His father sure wasn't, because he hated fish and drank water only when Stiles reminded him.

****

Meanwhile, Derek couldn't sleep. His mind kept wandering back to when Deaton pulled him aside earlier to talk to him privately when everyone else was going home.

"I need to tell you something that might be a bit surprising at first.", Deaton had said. "What is it?", Derek asked. "Stiles mentioned how you're the only wolf or canine that's doesn't smell weird. In fact, he said you smelled good and that he wanted to be around you and touch you all the time.", Deaton confessed. "What does that mean? Is it because I'm an alpha?", Derek questioned. "No. It actually means that he's attracted to you as a potential mate.", the vet replied. "Excuse me?"

"Your smell attracts Stiles and he's going to want to be intimate with you soon. He might not tell you but it's definitely going to be on his mind. Kots usually are only attracted to very specific smells, so mates are usually rare for them but I've never heard of any feline creature getting along with, let alone being attracted to, any canine creature.", Deaton said. "Well I don't wanna be Stiles' mate! I don't wanna be anyone's mate!", Derek exclaimed. "He will have other mates down the road but I'm just warning you, if you let him get close to you and then reject him... Well... let's just say kots don't handle rejection too well."