Nick Helps Out

Stiles' phone started to ring in his pocket, and 3 seconds later, so did Scott and Issac's. They looked at each other and nodded, each picking up the phone to the group chat call. "Scott? What's going on? Why is Lydia dead?", Malia asked as Allison's sobs filled the background.

"What do you mean Lydia's dead?! Did Derek not protect her?", Stiles asked frantically. "What are you talking about, Derek's not here.", Malia replied. "Yeah, he wasn't here when we arrived either, we would've smelled him.", Jackson added. "So you're telling me... Derek's missing?", Stiles' voice cracked. "Great. We've got 2 dead and 1 missing.", Issac grunted. "2?! Who else is dead?!", Liam asked. "Danny.", Scott replied.

"What?", Ethan whispered into the phone. "You're joking, right? My best friend isn't dead, is he?", Jackson asked. "I'm so sorry.", Scott whispered.

The entire pack's hearts broke that day.

————

The funeral service for Lydia and Danny was beautiful. Nick even came back to offer his condolences and search for Derek. Stiles was a wreck; Lydia was one of his best friends, Danny had been so supportive when Stiles was transforming into a Kot, and Derek... He loved Derek with all his heart.

Allison took Lydia's death especially hard, Ethan and Jackson mourned Danny the most, and the rest of the pack was mourning each loss equally. Everyone started to speak less, silently comforting one another. Even Boyd became more social, quietly letting others in the pack lean on him.

————

"Hey there.", Nick said. Stiles jumped. "Oh. It's just you.", he breathed a sigh of relief. "What are you doing here? We don't search for Derek until another hour.", Stiles said. "I know. I just came to see how you were holding up. I know it must be especially hard for you, being mates with him and all.", Nick said. "Yeah... It sucks more than you could imagine.", Stiles sighed. "Well, good thing I'm an expert in sucking.", Nick joked, showing his fangs briefly. Stiles gave him a weak, small smile.

"Since you're already here, can I get you something to eat or drink? Or do vamps not need that kinda stuff?", Stiles asked politely. "Heh, yeah we don't really need it. But thanks for the offer.", Nick said. "Of course. You've been the biggest help trying to find Derek.", Stiles said. "If there's anything at all you need, just let me know.", he added.

"Well, actually I might need one thing.", Nick said. "What is it?" "I have a ritual that'll allow you and Derek to stay mates past tomorrow, but I'm missing an ingredient.", Nick lied.

"Really?! Of course, what's the ingredient?!", Stiles was finally smiling for once in the past 3 days. "It requires your DNA. And Derek's.", Nick said. "No problem! I have an old shirt of his that probably has a hair on it or something, and I can give you one of my hairs!", Stiles exclaimed excitedly. "Wonderful!", Nick said. "I'll have the stuff ready for the ritual soon then.", Nick said.

Stiles went upstairs and grabbed the shirt for Nick, and then gave him one of his own hairs in a ziplock bag. "See you soon.", Nick waved. "Yep! See ya!", Stiles called after him.

————

Nick added Stiles' hair to the mixture and threw away Derek's shirt. The mixture bubbled a little, and then settled. When it was done, it looked just like water. Nick poured it into an empty water bottle and marked it with a stray sharpie line barely visible on the label. Then, he grabbed a regular water for himself, a fake mixture that was harmless, and walked out the door.

He drove to Stiles' house once again and brought Stiles into a separate room. "Here, some water for you before we start, the mixture needed for the ritual kinda dries your throat.", Nick said. "Oh, thanks.", Stiles said. Stiles grabbed the water bottle and took a sip. He set it down and turned to face Nick when suddenly, he felt odd. Probably nothing.

He and Nick did the ritual, it was surprisingly quick and easy. Afterwards, Stiles felt good knowing his mate bond with Derek wouldn't break. They searched for him all night. When it was about 1 in the morning, everyone but Stiles and Nick had gone home.

————

Stiles sighed, a single tear slipping down his face as he climbed into bed. Another unsuccessful night of looking for Derek. He sat up to turn his lamp off, and almost thought he saw a face in his window for a second. But it was just his mind playing tricks on him. He fell asleep rather quickly that night, still feeling that odd feeling he felt when he drank the water Nick had given him.

But he was probably just being paranoid. Who wouldn't be after he'd lost 3 people close to him. Well, he lost 2. He still held hope that Derek was alive. That they'd find him tomorrow, safely in hiding.