A Special Case

Stiles' and Derek's mate bond was a special case in supernatural history, and as rumors spread in the paranormal world, more and more creatures grew interested in meeting the pair to find out if the rumors were true. Unfortunately, not all of these creatures were kind. And some had some not so great intentions.

As Stiles' Kot powers grew, he was taking lessons learning how to defend himself as new creatures started encroaching on the pack's territory. So far, none had come into town yet, they remained just outside of the territory and kept a close eye on anyone leaving or entering Beacon Hills.

Stiles had mastered water bending, learned how to push himself to stay underwater for longer, and now he was focused on practicing his healing powers and extracting memories from water. He'd also finally gained control over his speed, agility, hearing, claws, smell, and strength. Though, he wasn't as strong as most werewolves.

He and Derek kept seeing the specialist once a week as well, Noah always tagging along and glaring at Derek every now and then. But the man was also paying close attention to Dr. Barri.

Stiles and Derek found out a few things about how their mate bond differed from normal Kot mate bonds:

1) Stiles found out he could tolerate the smell of wolves as long as he was touching Derek.
2) Derek and Stiles felt a greater level of desire for one another than normal mates.
3) They had better control over that desire.
4) Stiles and Derek seemed to each be more powerful if they were near one another.
5) Stiles felt a stronger need for physical intimacy than Derek did, perhaps that one may be because Kots are solitary and thus more starved for physical affection than wolves.

Dr. Barri kept all this information logged in her computer and produced physical copies for the two mates.

Derek felt weird every time he read the 5th item on the list. He couldn't quite decipher what the feeling was, so he settled on saying it just made him uncomfortable that Stiles had those urges and thoughts about him.

****

One night, Stiles was in the bath trying to make sure he didn't feel too dry and weird, when he heard a knock on his door. He stepped out of the bath, threw some shorts on and went downstairs. He opened the door to an unfamiliar face. But something about it was strange. He couldn't quite place what it was. Not that he was able to think about it for very long anyways, as he was soon falling to the ground, eyes becoming too heavy to open. And then, pitch black.

****

"So, why'd you call this meeting?", Theo asked as soon as everyone was there. Well, almost everyone. "Stiles is missing. Last night, I could feel something was off. And when I went to check on Stiles... he wasn't home. His door was wide open, his car was still there, and there was a full bath upstairs.", Derek explained. "Wait- You sensed that he was in danger? That's another thing to add to the list!", Dr. Barri said excitedly. Everyone looked at her weird. "Sorry. I didn't mean to seem so happy in this... trying time.", she said, glancing at everyone before letting her gaze linger on Noah. He looked away in disappointment, and she lowered her head in defeat.

"Do you have any idea where he could be?!", Scott sounded worried. He looked worried too, sweat dripping from his brow, a pained look on his face, and his hand reaching for Issac's. To which, Issac gratefully accepted and held the boy's hand, calming him only so much. "I don't. With all these new creatures surrounding Beacon Hills it could be any of them. Or even none of them at all, we could be dealing with something we didn't know about. That's why I was hoping one of you might know something.", Derek replied.

Noah shifted his weight to his other foot and looked up at Derek. "I think I might know something.", he breathed out, relieved that he might be able to help find his son. "Stiles said the other day that he kept smelling another feline scent near him but he figured it was just Potato- er Geoffrey.", he said. "It may be a lodjur.", Deaton spoke up. "Lodjurs are feline creatures known for their stealth. Lodjur is actually Swedish for lynx. The Swedish people were the ones to discover the existence of this creature. There's not much information on them because they live alone and when they do come out, they know how to remain unnoticed.", Deaton went on.

"Okay so how much information do we have in them? Enough to take them down if they took Stiles?", Lydia asked. "I'll have to check the bestiary for their weaknesses. I never thought we'd have to deal with one of them.", the vet answered. "Well how do we even know how many of them we're dealing with? I know you said they're solitary but what if they've gathered because of the rumors circulating Stiles and Derek's mate bond.", Cora piped up. Derek was only growing more worried and anxious as the meeting continues so he dismissed everyone and went with Deaton to look at the bestiary.

The pack trickled out of Derek's loft heading home to prepare to find Stiles. But two people lingered. Even after Derek himself left to help Deaton, two people stayed.

****

Deaton slammed the dusty bestiary onto a vet table with a loud thud. He blew the dust away and opened the book, flipping until he found the part on lodjurs. He read aloud and Derek followed along silently.

Lodjurs are a feline species of the supernatural. The word Lodjur comes from Sweden, the country that discovered the creature. Lodjurs are solitary, like most feline creatures. Unlike most feline creatures, they do not have their own mate bonds. They have a keen sense of hearing and they can see for miles. They are incredibly stealthy, but they lack in the strength department. Lodjurs only have 2 known weaknesses: extreme heat and the bite of an undead creature. But these two weaknesses have to be used together to weaken or kill a Lodjur.

"An undead creature? Where are we going to find a nice undead creature who's willing to help us save Stiles?", Derek asked. "Well I'd say you better make friends with either the vampires or zombies just outside of Beacon Hills.", Deaton said. "And fast."

****

This was just great. How was Derek supposed to make friends with a zombie or vampire. Both creatures are notoriously known for being antisocial monsters who eat people and drink blood. And even if they learn to control that urge or find substitute food, they're usually selfish and they both hate werewolves almost as much as felines do.