The Masquerade Part 1 (3K+ reads, 50+ followers special)

Aru stared at the invitation that was in her hand. It had arrived in the mail not too long ago, yet Aru still couldn't believe her eyes. It was an invitation to a masquerade ball at the Archaya Empire. Now, Aru had only been there a few times when her dad and Aiden's dad were discussing business, and she could safely say that the Archaya Empire was huge.

"Still moping over the invitation?" her best friend Mini asked her, sitting on Aru's bed.

"Yes," Aru responded, sitting up. "This says that Aiden is going to choose the one he wants to marry. I already know I have no chance." Aru set the invitation down, crossing her arms.

Mini sighed. "Aru, of course you do! Have you not seen the way Aiden looks at you, acts around you, and how close he is with you?"

"No..." She did know how close they were, though.

"Well, you're too blind to notice anyway. And that's saying something, because I have glasses!"

Aru laughed, putting her head on Mini's shoulder. "What about Kara though? Isn't she rumored to have a crush on Aiden? What if he feels the same?"

"Aru, he doesn't, okay? Plus, aren't you his friend? You can always ask him."

Aru gasped. Asking him? Aru removed her head off of Mini's shoulder. "Of course not!"

Mini shrugged. "Worth a shot."

"Well, are you going to the masquerade?" Aru asked.

Mini nodded. "I have to. My suitor is also going, so I have no choice but to go."

"If I remember correctly, you're not fond of your suitor, right?"

Mini shook her head. "I'm not fond of him, but I think he could actually like me. He doesn't know that I like Rudy though."

Aru nodded. "Well, I'm sure you'll have a chance with Rudy. You two will find a way to be together."

Mini smiled. "Yeah."

Brynne burst through the door, panting. The room shook a little bit, and Aru glanced up at the mini chandelier. Hopefully it won't fall...

"Bee, what is it?" Mini questioned.

Brynne ran a hand through her hair. "Aiden just told me who he was going to marry—slash who he likes—THROUGH A LETTER!" she ranted. "Like, who would you tell me through a letter? Why not tell me in person? Am I not your best friend?"

"Can you tell us who he's going to marry?" Mini asked curiously.

Brynne sighed. "It's obvious!"

Aru rolled her eyes. "Just give me the letter."

Brynne pressed the letter to her chest. "Only Mini can see it," she said, waving Mini over.

"I'll tell you when I finish reading it." Mini whispered.

Aru nodded, and Mini got off the bed and went over to Brynne's side. Brynne gave her the letter, running a hand through her hair as Mini read it. Mini's eyes widened while she was reading the letter, so whatever was on there was more likely very shocking.

Wrong.

Mini squealed. Actually squealed. It was unusual to hear that sound come out of her. (Not that any other sounds were coming out of her...)

"This is great news!" she beamed, handing Brynne the letter.

"I know that it is, I would've just preferred if he told me in person..." Brynne looked at the ground. "I bet you ten coins that he told Rudy in person."