Chapter 20: Guilty Conscience

Subaru and Mai had quit their search for the Blonde in the mansion. They decided to rest up in the guest room.

Subaru: Ugh! I can't believe we didn't find that brat!

Subaru then proceeded to mess his hair up in frustration. Mai, on the other hand, had been staring outside.

Mai: Weird. It's almost as if he disappeared...

Subaru noticed that Mai was staring outside, as he walked over to her.

Subaru: Hm? What's wrong Mai?

Mai glanced over at Subaru, before she then looked outside yet again.

Mai: You know. I've been wondering... Where did Y/N go?

Subaru: Oh... I didn't tell you? He went off into this library place.

Subaru's response just made Mai even more puzzled, but she just sighs.

Mai: does that mean Y/N is safe?

Mai turns her head and gave Subaru those 'eyes'.

Subaru: Y-yep!

Subaru rubs his head and then looks at the wall.

Subaru: 'As long as Beactrice protects him.'

Mai and Subaru then sat quietly in the room together, making the atmosphere in the room seem quiet. This was soon interrupted by a knock on the door.

Mai soon bounces up and opens the door for the person, only to reveal Ram.

Subaru had only glanced over at the maid, before he began to ponder in his mind.

Subaru: 'Okay... So if I were to piece together everything I know, Wolf was the mastermind of this whole scheme... Yet something doesn't feel right. of course, my second death in this mansion was due to him... But what about the first? I also have to consider what Y/N said about the maids'

Subaru then kept trying to think about his first death in the mansion, as he remembers just waking up next to Y/N in bed.

Just then, something interrupted his mindscape, as he felt something warm touch his arm

Mai: Subaru! Do you want the tea or not?

As Mai asked this, she was pressing the tea cup into Subaru's arm. Subaru had gone blank for a moment, before he then grabbed his arm and flanked back.

Subaru: Aaaah! Mai! Why are you pressing that hot tea into my skin!

Mai just sighs before giving Subaru an annoyed look.

Mai: You wouldn't listen to me, so I had to get your attention somehow... Unless you wanted me to pour it into your mouth.

Subaru scuffs at how Mai thought about getting his attention.

Subaru: Anyhow... What's this for?

Subaru looked over towards the pink haired maid, as she has given Subaru a weird stare.

Ram: My sister requested that she would serve this girl a cup of tea, but she didn't have time to make it today.

Subaru looked a little shock, but Mai just shot Ram a smile.

Mai: Actually, It was me who request the tea.

Ram: Anyhow... I shall be taking my leave.

And with that, Mai was left shock, as Subaru was puzzled.

Subaru: Wait! Can't you sit and talk with us at least.

But the maid had left instead of stay, as Subaru looked down.