⚡️ Chapter 63 ⚡️

The grounds were deserted – Bagman, Cedric and Fleur had long disappeared. Vega and Harry tore up the stone steps, through the oak front doors, and up the marble staircase in the Entrance Hall. They were heading toward the second floor, and five minutes later, they were hurtling toward a familiar stone gargoyle standing halfway along an empty corridor.

"Sher-Sherbet lemon!" Harry panted at the gargoyle as that had been the password to the hidden staircase to Dumbledore's office at least two years ago.

The password had evidently changed, however, for the stone gargoyle did not spring to life and jump aside – instead, it remained standing, frozen, glaring at the two students malevolently.

"Move! C'mon!"

But nothing at Hogwarts had ever moved just because they shouted at it; they knew it was no good. Vega turned around to look along the dark corridor, trying to figure out if there was something or someone who could help them? Perhaps someone in the staffroom? They started running as fast as they could toward the staircase –

"POTTER
AND
LESTRANGE!"

Immediately, Vega and Harry skidded to a halt and looked around – Snape had just emerged out from the hidden staircase behind the stone gargoyle. The wall was sliding shut behind him even as he beckoned Vega and Harry back toward him.

"What are you doing here, Potter and Lestrange?" Snape demanded.

"We need to see Professor Dumbledore!" Harry said, running back up the corridor and skidding to a standstill in front of Snape instead, along with Vega right next to him. "It's Mr. Crouch... He's just turned up... He's in the forest... He's asking –"

"What is this rubbish?" Snape responded, his black eyes glittering. "What are you talking about?"

"It's Mr Crouch," Vega answered quickly. "He's in the forest and talking about some sort of mistake he made. He wants to see Dumbledore as quickly as possible – if you let us through here –"

"The headmaster is busy, Lestrange," Snape said, his thin mouth curling into an unpleasant smile.

"We've got to tell Dumbledore!" Harry yelled.

"Didn't you hear me, Potter?" Snape said, and it was clear to Vega that he was thoroughly enjoying himself when denying Vega and Harry the thing that they wanted so earnestly.

"It's not about being busy!" Vega spoke loudly, frustrated. "I'm very sure Dumbledore would change his schedule once he finds out about this – Crouch is out there, out of his mind! He wants to warn –"

The stone wall behind Snape slid open.

Dumbledore was standing there, wearing long green robes and a mildly curious expression.

"Is there a problem?" Dumbledore said, looking between Vega, Harry and Snape.

"Professor Dumbledore!" Vega said, side-stepping Snape before he could speak. "Mr Crouch is here – he's down in the Forest, he wants to speak to you! He wants to warn you about something!"

Vega expected Dumbledore to ask questions but, to his relief, Dumbledore did nothing of the sort. Instead, he promptly told the two Gryffindors to 'Lead the way' and he swept off along the corridor behind Vega and Harry, leaving Snape standing next to the gargoyle and looking twice as ugly.

"What did Mr. Crouch say, Vega, Harry?" Dumbledore asked as he, Vega and Harry walked swiftly down the marble staircase.

"He said that he wanted to warn you," Vega informed him quickly. "He said that he did something terrible, and he mentioned his son, and Bertha Jorkins, and Voldemort... he was talking about Voldemort getting stronger and he was just delirious,"