Chapter 8

Before she could answer, the front door was flung open and two men walked into the room, laughing.

Rayla's POV

Rayla cowered behind Jayden, somehow feeling safer near him than near the strangers. One of the men was tall and muscular, but he looked quite young, and the other looked a bit older but was shorter, with glasses. They stopped talking when they noticed Jayden and Rayla.

"This is my mate, Rayla" Jayden pronounced proudly, and to Rayla he said "This is my Delta Johnathan and my Beta's mate, Issac, who is the royal pack doctor."

Rayla was confused. Why was the Alpha King calling her his mate? She bowed in respect to the Delta and the pack doctor, but they frantically stopped her, telling her they should be the ones bowing as she was the Royal Luna, and she was above them.

Rayla was shocked. She was Jayden, the Alpha King’s, mate? That must have been why he had been so nice to her. Was he expecting her to be some sort of strong, courageous werewolf leader? He would be so disappointed when he learnt the truth. She had to hide her abilities as a witch.

She didn't realize she had been digging her fingers into her injured arm until Jayden pulled them away.

“Stop it Rayla.” He growled. “Why are you hurting yourself? What's wrong?” He looked worried and helpless, but also a bit frightening.

Jayden’s POV

I love Rayla already, but I’m worried about her and I don't know what’s wrong. She acts almost like she doesn't want to be with me or near me, and it breaks my heart. Shouldn't she feel the bond and feel pain when she's away from me? I know I do, but I don't want to scare her so I'm trying to get her to warm up to me slowly. I thought she was just scared of me because of my powerful aura and the rumors about me destroying packs without mercy, but now I'm starting to think there's something more to her fear.

All I want is to love my mate and for her to love me back! Is that too much to ask?

When Johnathan and Issac start talking to her, I notice her long nails digging into her wounds. Quickly pulling her hand away, I ask her what's wrong, growling. Seeing my mate hurting herself is the worst thing in the world, I rather she hurt me.

When she doesn't respond, and starts shaking instead, Issac steps tentatively toward her.

“Luna, if I may” He starts “Could you please tell me what used to happen at your old pack when someone growled at you like Jayden just did?”

Jayden was confused. What did Issac mean? Why would someone growl at his mate? He looked back to Rayla and she was looking between him and Issac with wide, frightened eyes.

"T-they would" She stuttered. "Would hit m-me."

Jayden choked. What? They hit his mate? How dare they! He would tear their pack apart!

Before anyone could react, he kissed Rayla's forehead and ran outside, mind linking his Beta and Delta to stay at the pack and protect their Luna.

Then, he called his strongest fighters to meet him outside. They shifted into their wolves and bounded into the forest towards the Half Moon pack, determined to avenge their Luna queen.

Please vote and comment