Prologue

Prologue ~ Circe

"Overall, what did you gain?"

(Y/n) clenched her jaw, preventing herself from saying anything that could get her into more trouble than she was already in.

"Answer me!" The Officer in front of her demanded, him slamming his fist onto his wooden desk, a loud slam echoing through the, relatively, small office. The desk creaked, almost in protest, at the slam, though this deterred the Officer's anger none.

(Y/n) inhaled deeply, before releasing the breath sharply.

"With all due respect-" (Y/n) cleared her throat, trying to keep her voice even, "-he was a self-centered bigot, who needed an ego check."

The Officer clenched his own jaw, steam almost pouring out of his ears in anger.

"You-" He stood up, pointing at her with a firm finger, "-are one lucky son of a bitch."

(Y/n) narrowed her eyes, confusion and anger shown in them, though she waited to hear what he meant.

"Right when I called you in here to dishonorably discharge your ass-" He made a face of disgust mixed with anger, "-a call came in."

(Y/n) was now listening more intently than she was before, this seeming important.

"I'm giving you your dream shot...again." He sat back down in his leather chair, voice begrudged as he spoke.

(Y/n) took a moment to register what he meant, before her eyes widened as she realized what he meant, the Officer immediately seeing her mood change.

"Sir, you don't mean-" She felt excitement eating at her inside, "-Top Gun?"

He grinded his teeth together before answering, "That is correct."

(Y/n) was failing to contain her excitement, any anger she felt previously being washed away like sand on the beach.

"With all due respect, sir, I am flattered you chose me." She spoke, eyes trained on his.

"Woah there, don't get the wrong idea-" He raised an eyebrow, "-you are a major pain in my ass." He clarified.

(Y/n) shrugged and nodded, agreeing with him silently.

"But you have the most, and best, qualifications in this entire base." He finished.

(Y/n) felt pride fill her, slightly smiling.

"You will be on the road within the hour, due north, to-"

He released another heavy sigh once more.

"-Top Gun."

(Y/n) sighed, adjusting her collar as she walked on the wooden boardwalk, the setting sun's golden rays shining down on her in a memorable light.

The sign stuck deep into the sand showed she was heading the right way, the bar ahead quiet, for now.

Whence (Y/n) got all the way there, she took a deep breath, before stepping in, moving the doors to the side, making way for her.

Her (e/c) eyes scanned the bar, seeing two familiar people, and one other older man sitting at the bar, talking to the bartender. Though she couldn't quite make out who the older man was, she chose to turn her attention elsewhere.

(Y/n) turned her attention to the two familiar people, walking over quietly, before taking a seat near where they were playing pool.

Both of them were bantering and jesting, seeming not to notice the (h/c) haired female, her not speaking up to say anything.