Chapter Four

Chapter Four ~ Outted

TW- Homophobic slurs

(Y/n) clenched her jaw in anger, everyone now looking to (Y/n), especially Phoenix.

(Y/n) gulped thickly, glancing over to Rooster, who was equally as pissed, looking to Phoenix, then looking back to Hangman.

She didn't know what to do, feeling intense fear, anger, and anxiety come to her all at once. She couldn't decide if she wanted to sink into her seat and hide or get up and punch Hangman to hell.

"And while we're revealing these secrets-" Hangman decided to keep yanking (Y/n)'s chain, "-she's a fag on top of it!"

That's when Rooster and, now, Phoenix got pissed, Rooster pushing even harder, wanting to punch him even more now.

Phoenix looked at Hangman, stopping helping hold Rooster back, if anything she wanted Rooster to punch the hell out of him.

"What's wrong with being gay exactly, Hangman?" She enunciated his name, (Y/n) looking over at the exchange, before quickly looking back down at the ground.

Hangman scoffed, before shrugging, "Shouldn't it be obvious?" He looked to (Y/n) before back at Phoenix. "Oh I see what's going on here."

Phoenix furrowed her eyebrows, though kept her eyes trained on Hangman, him speaking again.

"You're a fag too, aren't yo-" Hangman was cut off when it was now Phoenix going to punch him, (Y/n) quickly getting up, and grabbing her in the nick of time.

"Alright, that's enough!" Maverick broke them up, Phoenix glaring deadly at Hangman, (Y/n) pulling her back from him.

Phoenix, begrudged, returned to her seat, (Y/n) having to pull her like a stubborn dog all the way there.

"God I want to go home..."

(Y/n) focused on the radar in front of her, no words being exchanged. They were on time, going the appropriate speed, below the ceiling, and in formation, there was nothing to communicate.

"Wait-" (Y/n) saw a dot appear on the radar, looking to where the dot was, seeing a jet coming towards them, "-what the hell is that?"

Phoenix looked to where (Y/n) was looking, her eyes faintly making out what (Y/n) could see clearly.

"Hello aviators, I am superior enemy jet gone astray, what will you do?" Maverick's voice flooded their ears, (Y/n)'s eyes widening in surprise.

"Talk to me Circe, where is he?" Phoenix looked back ahead.

"3:00, 600 knots!" (Y/n) reported, Maverick turning in a wide turn, (Y/n) recognizing the plane he was in, "He's in an F-16, we have no chance of outrunning him!"

Phoenix muttered a curse under her breath, Coyote speaking up.

"What are we going to do?" He asked Phoenix, who was team leader in the exercise.

"Stay on course, we are near the target!" Phoenix looked down at her course director, Coyote nodding, unsure, though listened to her order.

(Y/n) kept an eye on Maverick, seeing him getting closer and closer, before she looked at her own navigator, by the time he gets here, they'll have hit the target.

In a few moments, Phoenix and Coyote pulled back on their sticks, their jets rapidly ascending, acting as though they were going over the first mountain. They both turned inverted at the same time, (Y/n) looking up and spotting the target.

"Target in sight, preparing the laser guide." (Y/n) pressed her finger to the black button, trying to guide the laser into place. Though there was an issue, the laser wouldn't stay still or focus, not allowing (Y/n) to lock onto the target. "Deadeye, deadeye!"

"Fuck it, I'm going to eyeball it!" Coyote hit the red button, the missiles releasing from the jet, only to miss the target horribly. "Fuck, its a miss!"

They didn't have time to think about this, for Maverick was upon them, not to mention they had to get out of coffin corner.

They both pulled back on their sticks at the same time, pulling up and almost going up entirely vertical.

(Y/n) gasped for air, Phoenix no better, the amount of G's pushing on their chests making it excruciatingly hard to breath.

(Y/n)'s vision was tunneling, black spots appearing anywhere she could see.

Phoenix's own sight was slightly tunneling, but was handling it a bit better.

In that moment, (Y/n)'s (e/c) eyes rolled into the back of her head, her head lolling as her consciousness left her body, hands falling from where she had them on the radar.

Phoenix gasped for air, not noticing the state of her WSO, only yo hear tone.

"God damn it." Phoenix turned to the right, evening out her wings to go back to base. "Talk to me Circe, where is Maverick?"

But to her question no response game, Phoenix turning her head to try and see what was going on.

To her shock, (Y/n) was in G-lock, head lolled forward, her entire body slack.

"Shit, (Y/n) went into G-lock!" Phoenix reported, only to look behind her, seeing Maverick diving. She looked down, seeing Coyote's jet spiraling.

"Coyote is also in G-lock! Coyote, even out your wings now!" Maverick got tone on him, an obnoxious beeping sound sounding in Coyote's jet.

Luckily for him, right before he was about to hit the ground, Coyote came to, evening out his plane and pulling up in the nick of time.

"Oh thank god." Maverick evened out his own wings, "Are you good Coyote?"

Coyote released heavy breathes, though nodded, before responding, "Yeah-" he swallowed thickly, "-I'm good."

Maverick pulled next up to Phoenix, flying by her, turning his head to see (Y/n)'s slack body.

"She isn't responding Maverick, somethings wrong." Phoenix turned back, seeing her still passed out.

"Shit, we need to land and get her looked at, this isn't normal, for her to be out this long." Maverick responded, before something his his windshield, "Bird strike, bird strike!"

Before Phoenix could do anything in response, a bird got caught in her right engine.

"Oh shit!" Her jet jerked to the left, the right engine catching fire. "Ascending to distinguish!"

Phoenix accelerated and pulled up, before pushing the extinguisher button, only for the left engine to go out.

"It's still spinning, I'm going to restart left engine!" Phoenix reported, before quickly glancing back, (Y/n) wasn't responding, even with this going on.

Maverick had to act fast, following them and getting tone on them, hoping to get the same effect he got with Coyote.

(Y/n) on the other hand felt her head pounding, eyes slowly opening as the loud beeping registered in her mind.

She quickly snapped back awake, looking around, noticing what was going on.

She looked at the dash, seeing just about everything beeping red, showing almost every system was failing.

"Shit! I cant control the jet!" Phoenix reported, moving the useless stick around.

"Both engines are on fire, all systems not functioning!" (Y/n) reported, ignoring her pounding headache.

"You need to eject!" Maverick spoke, pulling back, seeing them dangerously close to the ground, "Eject, eject!"

End of Chapter Four