Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen ~ Mission Pt. 1

(Y/n) held her head as she leaned on a wall, shutting her eyes. There was a door in front of her, the conversation behind the door being muffled.

They were going to be called into that door to be told who would be executing the mission...and who possibly wouldn't be coming back.

(Y/n) felt nausea quickly making itself known, her nerves fried, anxiety bubbling up.

(Y/n) groaned, opening her eyes, looking to her left, down the corridor.

There was Natasha, Bob, and Bradley, all three of them walking to the room, none of them exchanging words.

(Y/n) looked back ahead, not able to look them in the eyes, especially her girlfriend.

Once all three of them were near (Y/n), then leaned against the wall too, Natasha going up to (Y/n).

(Y/n) didn't want to look at her, guilt and nerves preventing her from looking at her.

Natasha frowned slightly, slightly hurt by how (Y/n) wouldn't look at her.

(Y/n) could see the hurt flash through her brown eyes, finally breaking her will.

(Y/n) looked to her, Natasha's eyebrows furrowed as she silently asked what was wrong.

(Y/n) just let out a weak smile, her eyes stinging as she held back tears.

Natasha wasn't reassured in the slightest, but before she could open her mouth, the door in front of them opened.

It revealed a muggy, hot, room, almost being completely empty. The American flag in the front, a eagle with a shield on it on the wall.

At that, all of them walked in, the others coming down the hallway and into the room with them.

They all stood in pairs, the duo's to the left while the singles stood to the right.

(Y/n) was next to Bradley, the singles in alphabetical order.

They all stood at attention, Cyclone, a two star admiral, and Maverick walking in.

Maverick stood in the middle, up front, Cyclone and the other admiral standing at his flanks.

"This is the moment you all have been training for." Maverick started, "Only the best can fly for this mission and my choices will reflect that."

"Choose your two foxtrot teams." Cyclone spoke up.

(Y/n) felt a cold sweat come to her temple as he chose.

"Payback and Coyote."

(Y/n) held her breath.

"Phoenix and Bob."

(Y/n) felt her heart drop to her stomach, though she couldn't say she didn't expect this. She gulped back the bile trying to come up her throat, clenching her jaw as one of the most important decisions came up.

"Now choose your wingman." Cyclone ordered.

(Y/n) felt like throwing up, the muggy, stagnant, air in the room not helping this at all.

Maverick looked between two people in particular, (Y/n) noticing Hangman puff his chest out.

"Circe."

(Y/n) felt some form of relief flood through her. At the very least she could protect her brother.

"Everyone else will stay on reserve, so get to it." Cyclone finished, the people in front of (Y/n) turning and fist bumping her.

(Y/n) gulped down her nervousness and let out a shaky smile and nodded, before turning to Natasha and Bradley.

Bradley, this time, pulled her into a hug, burying his face into her (crook of her neck/hair).

(Y/n) swore she heard a sniffle, but she hugged him back.

"Come home...please." Bradley spoke quietly, only enough for (Y/n) to hear him.

(Y/n) felt a sad smile come onto her face, patting his back, pulling back from him, "Don't worry, you're stuck with me."

Bradley let a weak smile of his own come onto his face, before nodding, walking out to get to his reserve spot.

(Y/n) then turned to Natasha, who had finished talking to Bob, who left to go do something.

Natasha turned to face her too, a sad smile on her face.

(Y/n) felt her eyes sting, the tears she'd been holding back finally surface.

"Natasha..." she muttered, walking forward, her voice breaking.

Natasha opened her arms, letting her girlfriend fall into her, Natasha feeling how badly she was shaking.

"I..." (Y/n) didn't know where it start, they didn't have much time, they needed to get ready.

"I know what you're going to say." Natasha spoke up, rubbing (Y/n)'s back reassuringly.

(Y/n) bit her lip, trying not to sob. Her knees were getting weak, her body shaking, the thought of Natasha burning in the only thing she could focus on.

"But don't worry about me." Natasha spoke firmly, pulling back a bit, (Y/n) furrowing her eyebrows. "Up there, you need to focus on the mission, not me."

(Y/n) shook her head, about to protest, but Natasha just put a finger to her lips, silencing her.

"I can take care of myself, I wasn't called here and chosen for nothing." She reminded, (Y/n) nodding slowly.

(Y/n) then pulled her back into the hug, "I know my love, but I can't lose you."

Natasha felt her heart flutter at the nickname, but nodded, "I know...I can't lose you either."

(Y/n)'s eye sight was blurry, tears about to fall.

(Y/n) pulled back, from the hug, only to pull her into a loving kiss.

Natasha reciprocated it, (Y/n) feeling a tear roll down her cheek when she shut her eyes to lean into the kiss.

It was a shorter kiss than (Y/n) would've liked, but Natasha pulled back.

Natasha leaned forward and kissed the tear away, (Y/n) relishing the feeling of her lips on her cheek.

(Y/n) made one final glance over her face, from her tan skin, with some sweat clinging to it, her glimmering brown eyes, to her heart melting smile.

(Y/n) gave her a kiss on her forehead, "I love you, so much Natasha Trace."

Natasha, for the second time, felt her heart skip a beat, a love like no other she felt flutter in her chest.

She smiled, love and adoration shown in her eyes, relishing the feeling of her lover's arms around her.

"I love you too, (Y/n) (L/n)."

The End of Chapter Fourteen