Chapter Twenty × Missionary in the Bedroom

Anyone that thinks that an infinite amount of money solves all your problems when it comes to buying a home, is dead wrong

Anyone that thinks that an infinite amount of money solves all your problems when it comes to buying a home, is dead wrong. Granted, I don't exactly have an infinite amount of money, but definitely more than the average person. Which is why I'm trying to say this in the most delicate way possible while acknowledging that I am in a privileged position.

Buying a house, sucks.

"Erik..." Rosie begins her sentence, both of us knowing that she doesn't need to finish it for me to know what she means. We're parked in front of what most would consider a mansion: 4 car garage, pool house, and located in a gated community. One difference from Canada and the US? Everyone lives in a gated community.

"I know, I know." I say, waving her off because I already can imagine the protests that will fly off her tongue. It's too big. Too expensive. Too much. What are we gonna do with all that space? Well I, have a few very...productive ideas. (i.e. I mean make love in every room in the house - except the kids' rooms because that would just be weird).

No, you didn't enter some weird time lapse, we don't have kids...yet. But within the next few years we definitely will. And I would much rather move into a place that can account for our future plans than have to pack up and move again when she gets pregnant. When I, get her pregnant.

Fuck, I'm horny.

"But it's in a really good school district and they just did a price reduction; so, it's basically a steal." I tell her, trying to reason with the bargainer in my girlfriend. I.E. the side of her that wants us to move into some crappy bachelor in the east-end of town, where people still hang shoes over the telephone wires.

Thankfully, we're getting out of the car so I can't see the look she's giving me; but I don't exactly need to, to know she's not impressed. It's no secret that Rosie and I have very different budgets. But her's is factoring in her lack of current income and only based off of the entry-level job she'll be getting with the Portland Pirates once she graduates. Which - even though they're a professional sports organization, isn't exactly a lot.

My budget on the other hand, factors in that I make close to seven million dollars a year...and that's just from my hockey career and not any of the income properties or investments that I have. Not like I'm trying to brag, I'm just making a statement. And as the future provider for our family, I don't see why it's a big deal for my income to be the one for us to think about when we're looking for a house.

Also, like I said before, moving is a bitch and definitely not something we wanna be worrying about in a few years when we have kids and dogs and a shit-ton of other things to worry about. See? I'm thinking ahead. I also want a master bedroom that we can have sound proofed, which is also, thinking ahead.

"Erik." Now, in the sun-kissed lighting of the afternoon, I can see the look of slight irritation on my girlfriend. She still looks beautiful as fuck; which almost makes me forget about the house and press her up against the truck.