Chapter 17: The Hero's Blade

Link stayed outside with Epona up until every inch of the blue sky was replaced by a thick black and then he headed back inside to the others. Back in the house, it turned out that Impaz had provided sleeping arrangements for both himself and Midna. It was getting late, his body still ached and they had a long day ahead of them tomorrow. He would need as much rest as possible for his wounds to heal. Heading upstairs, he saw that the room in which Impaz slept was already closed off, indicating to him that she was already fast asleep. He turned in the opposite direction and headed into the room with the twin beds that the kind woman had made up for them both.

"Have fun on your date with Epona?" Midna joked sarcastically.

"Ha... Ha... Very funny." Link retorted, unphased.

Before getting into bed, he removed his hat, boots and his belt. After setting them down on the dresser besides the bed, he was about to take off his green tunic when he remembered that he was not alone in the room. Dropping his hands back down by his side, he turned around to see if Midna was looking or not.

"Ahem?!" Link cleared his throat, catching Midna's attention.

"What? If I see something I haven't seen before, I'll throw a rupee at it." She teased.

"Make it a blue rupee, or turn around."

With a roll of her eyes, Midna made a one-eighty turn so that she was facing the wall. As soon as Link was sure that she was not looking at all, he lifted his tunic up over his head, leaving his battle scar covered chest bare. Quickly and quietly, he slipped on a white night top in its place.

"Okay. You can turn around now." He informed her.

"Finally... What was that about? Afraid I might have seen something I shouldn't?" She teased.

"Not at all... Now, we should probably get some sleep so that we can head out bright and early tomorrow."

"Wait! Before we do... I just want to know... When you were comatose, did you...see anything?"

"Whatever do you mean?" Link asked, clearly confused.

"I mean...like Zelda."

Thinking it through for a moment, Link exhaled a breath he'd been holding before beginning to explain the things he'd experienced whilst living as a spirit, trapped in his own mind. He admitted everything, even though it left him feeling exposed. From speaking with Zelda, travelling through his memories and his encounter with the Goddess Hylia, he left no detail out of his explanation.

By the time he had finished, any light coming into the room from the outdoors had faded into darkness. Midna was stunned into silence, and if it weren't for her glowing orange eyes, he might have thought that she had fallen asleep.

"That sounds scary... And in a way, epic." She summed up.

Link, having taken the time during the silence to lie down in bed, yawned and rolled over onto his side.

"Goodnight Midna."

"Goodnight Link."

******

Link was awake as soon as the sun began to rise, and had already begun preparing for their travels before Midna or Impaz had risen from their slumber. By the time that they had woken up, he had already replaced Epona's horse shoes, saddled her up and given her five apples for breakfast. It was only once he headed back inside that he saw that Impaz had already prepared a meal for them all to start their day.

"Sneaking out at the crack of dawn to see Epona, eh? Something you need to tell us?" Midna teased.

"Really? You're a great companion Midna, but you seriously need to stop with the jokes." Link retorted.