Chapter 25; In Plain Sight

Turning around to head back the way they'd come, Link stopped abruptly as a horde of monsters barged through. Both he and Midna backed up as the horde advanced towards them. He glanced behind them, knowing that the swarm of Bulblins, Lizalfo and Shadow Beasts were also closing in on them. He looked at Midna, who gave a nervous smile and shrugged her shoulders.

"What do we do now?" She questioned as they were forced back to back.

"I don't think we have a choice really…"

"Huh?"

"We have to fight our way out." He determined, suddenly raising his sword and bringing it down to pierce through a bulblin's head.

Midna smirked, and extended the large hand from her hair once more, smacking multiple enemies in one hit at the same time as Link sliced through another three with a horizontal slash.

"There's no way that we're gonna be able to fight off all of these!" She said, grabbing another bulblin and throwing it across the room, where it crashed into a wall and landed on the ground.

"If I can just make the transformation again then-"

"No! It's too risky! The few seconds you spend in between human and wolf form leave you vulnerable and open to attack."

"Well-" He began, stopping as ducked sideways to dodge an attack. "We can't-" He paused again, slicing through another Bulblin. "Take them all on like this."

"Heck yeah, we can!"

Feeling a surge of power, Midna advanced forward and used her powers to create a wave of energy that blasted half of the mob away, enabling them to have more movement. Using the created space, Link rolled away from an incoming Shadow Beast and swung his sword; taking its head off in one swift movement. He moved on quickly to another Bulblin, meanwhile Midna slid to where Link was previously standing and levitated off the ground before throwing another wave of energy, knocking over all that were hit with it. While they were down, Link moved in to attack. The pair continued to move and attack the horde this way until they were down to a mere handful.

"Okay, now you can transform and take them out, Link." Midna stated, smacking the remaining enemies away continuously.

"Gotcha!" He said as he became encased in darkness, only to reappear as the wolf.

With a wider range of attacks, Link focused his attention on the three Shadow Beasts that Midna was smacking away repeatedly, then he pounced on the nearest one and ripped into the surface of its withered skin, killing it. Once it had fallen, he pounced onto the next one, repeating the same attack and moving onto the third, slaying it in seconds. As he morphed back into human form, he looked back at Midna, who had just about finished off the remaining Lizalfo and Bulblin, then sheathed his sword.

"We should hurry before more hoards of monsters swarm this place." He stated, taking off up the staircase.

Upon reaching the door to Zelda's bed chambers, Link slowed near the doorway and peaked around the door, ensuring that the coast was clear. He stepped forward into the room when a tap on his shoulder caused him to turn around again.

"There's no one here, I doubt that if the shard were here that they would leave it unguarded." Midna pointed out.

"Unless it's not unguarded." He said. "The throne room was booby trapped, who's to say that this room isn't too?"

"Also true." She agreed.

"Ladies first…" He stepped aside.

Midna shook her head. "Nuh-uh, not this time!"