Chapter 27; Time Ticks Away

Zant laughed maniacally as he caught the magic thrown at him and launched it back at Midna. The Twilight Princess ducked, dodging the spell and watching it hit the wall, bursting into nothing. She straightened her back, and looked at Zant with fury in her eyes.

"Technically, the throne never belonged to you in the first place…" She began, moving in a circular motion as Zant's eyes followed her. "All the power you hold isn't rightfully yours… You usurped it from me! Twice!"

Another ball of magic, this one larger than the one she'd thrown previously, sped towards Zant and knocked him down onto his back as it hit him. Midna looked desperately at Link, who was still cradling and trying to wake Zelda.

"Link… He can't move, now would be a good time to attack!" She called.

But her words fell upon deaf ears, and before she could attack Zant herself, the magic wore off and he had gotten back to his feet.

"I'm sorry." She whispered lower than Link could hear, then conjured up another spell, this time throwing it at him.

The magic hit Link, forcing him away from Zelda and causing him to fall on his backside, though not harming him due to the protection of the Triforce. He looked up at her with blazing eyes, then attempted to get to Zelda once more, only to be blocked by an invisible barrier.

"Midna! Whatever you've done, undo this!" He yelled.

"I can't." She sighed, biting her lip. She glanced sideways at Zant, who was simply watching in amusement at the events unfolding before him. "But it's just temporary…"

"Midna, I swear to Hylia… If you don't remove this then I-" He began, but trailed off.

"You'll what? Turn on me… After everything we've been through? Everything I've done for you?... Link, I didn't do this to be selfish, I did it because you are useless against this Usurper if you're distracted. He could easily end you, and then… Well, that would be tragic for both Hyrule and the Twili Realm."

Link's expression changed from anger to hurt, and Midna forced herself to avoid his pleading eyes, only turning as she caught a glimpse of him shakily rising to his feet. His eyes were cold, but they weren't focused on her. Instead they were locked on Zant.

"Ooh, somebody's mad… I'm quaking in my boots!" Zant mocked.

"Mad doesn't begin to cover it. You had better pray that she wakes up, because if she doesn't… there will be hell to pay."

"Ahhhh, was that a challenge?" Zant quizzed, pacing over to where Link was standing.

Link's shoulders tensed and he subtly began to reach behind his back to draw the Master Sword. He withdrew it slowly, and watched as Zant backed away.

"What's the matter?..." He questioned. "Afraid of what I can do to you?"

Zant remained silent for a few seconds and then suddenly put his fingers to his mouth and whistled. At the same time, several Shadow Beasts fell from the sky, trapping Link in the middle.

"They should keep you busy for a while." Zant commented. "Later, Hero." And with a snap of his fingers, he was gone, along with Zelda.

"NO!" Link raged.

Midna stepped forward but before she could lend a hand, Link had already sliced straight through two of the beasts with his sword. He didn't stop there. Black blood sprayed across his face as he continued to massacre the Beasts, slashing and stabbing at them and as the second to last one fell limp, he continued to hack at it with the sword.

"Link…"

Her voice, once again, went unheard as he continued slashing away. With caution, she walked up behind him.