Chapter 22; Moment of Truth

"Qu- Qu- No, this isn't possible. You are-" Link stammered, under the impression that he was imagining her.

Queen Rutela simply smiled, and stepped further into the room. Link backed up once more, feeling Midna move in the safety of his shadow. He reached behind him, ready to draw his sword if anything should occur.

"Master Link, please... do not concern yourself. I know that this may seem strange, but I have roamed here ever since my demise. It is now that I realise, my duty is not finished."

Link's hand dropped back down by his side and he nodded, waiting for her to continue. She pulled out a ragged old wooden stool, and gestured for him to sit. Without hesitation, he sat down and rested his elbows upon his knees, focusing solely on Queen Rutela.

"Word around Lake Hylia has it that the former King of Twilight is once again reaking havoc upon Hyrule, and I have been made aware that your current task is to save your friend Yeto, up in Snow Peak. Correct?"

"Yes, that is correct."

"Then please, tell me more."

"Ah, while I don't know the specifics, I know that I need to gather three ingredients. So far, I have managed to get one of those. But I still need Reekfish heads and Ordon goats cheese."

"I see." Queen Rutela nodded her head. "Usually, I would ask of some sort of service whenever I'd give a handout. This time, however, the troubles have not reached Lake Hylia... It is with this knowledge that I grant you a bucket of Reekfish heads." She finished, reaching behind her and producing a small metal bucket.

"Your Majesty, this really isn't necessary... I am willing to work for these things."

"No need! You and your companion have suffered enough already, and I don't want to risk you hurting yourself after having saved you from your fall... please, take this as a gift of gratitude."

"Really, I mean- wait! That was you?"

"Well, yes. There were no other souls in the vicinity."

"I- I have no words." Link stammered. "Thank you." He smiled as he got back on his feet and headed towards the door.

"Oh, and Link..."

Pausing for a moment, he turned around so that he was facing her once more. He could feel Midna growing impatient within his shadow, but he ignored it momentarily.

"Yes?"

"Do be careful out there. Hyrule is not a safe place during these times."

"Don't you worry, I will be just fine. Thanks again, your Highness."

With a nod, Link turned back towards the door and made a swift exit. He'd managed to get his hands on two of the ingredients so far, which left only the goat's cheese; the easiest of the three. Though it would not take long to pick some up, he was quick to cross Lake Hylia, and map out the shortest route to Castle Town. It would be easier getting to Ordon Village by horseback rather than on foot.

*_*_*_*_*

At the entrance to Ordon, Link knew he didn't have much time, but couldn't help but stop as they passed by the fountain. He smiled, and caressed Epona's neck, as he remembered Ilia making him promise to take care of her. Shaking the thought from his mind, he pushed on forward until they reached his old home and from there, onwards through the village and up towards the ranch.

He stopped just a few feet shy of the fence surrounding the herd, and dismounted Epona. As his feet hit the ground, Midna appeared from his shadow.