Memories that'll remain forever...

...

It had been a while, maybe like three or four months since all that happened with Luke. And this day things got a little out of hand, to say the least.

Another dumb argument.... but well, rather than an argument, it had become a fight. It had started like always, a 'discussion' at the dining table. Then one started yelling. The other one started screaming. Eventually, he was grabbing and hitting her as they desperately threw things from the shelves at each other.

An throughout all that,  I was hiding in the closet in my room silently sobbing to myself as I waited for it to be over.

After a while, I could tell just by the noise that my mother had started hiding places where he couldn't find or reach her, because he started calling out to her with a sweet voice, telling that he was 'sorry' and 'wanted to make things up' or whatever. 

He eventually just got angrier and screamed even louder, threatening her now. I suddenly heard the front door open, and then slam.

Tears spilled like rivers from my eyes as a single, terrifying question flooded my brain: Had she left?

Had she left me?

Alone.

With Him?

I let out a loud sob and immediately covered my mouth, afraid that he would for me next, now that she had left.

But no, he goes outside and starts yelling out for her. 

Not in a threatening way, but in the sweet 'honey, what happened? Come back!' way again.

A few seconds after he starts looking for her, he goes silent and suddenly, the door to my room opens.

What?

How could he have-?

"Alex!?"

It 's my mum.

I push the door of my closet and peek outside. 

My mother sat on the floor with her back against the closed door. She was sobbing uncontrollably, there were cuts and bruises on her arms and legs, and she was shaking and trying hard to pull herself together.

I climb out of the closet and walk a few steps closer to her, but she just ignores me, and looks straight to the ground.

A few moments later, she stands up and just starts repeating: "We're leaving, we've got to leave" as she, in some kind of trance, starts pulling out bags and suitcases from the closet I was previously hiding in.

I helped her bring out my clothes and we silently packed my few, small belongings in a small suitcase. Once we finally finished, I started thinking about how she was gonna pack her things, but all she did was walk up to the door, and say with a shaky voice: "We're ready".

She opened the door of my room and stepped out, but at that moment, a hand grabbed her by the neck of her blouse.

He. Was. Right. There.