New ideas...

(💙💚Hailey's POV💚💙)

The week went by really slowly, as I tried to keep myself together and tried desperately to talk to Zander, I wanted to make things up. I couldn't bear the thought of trying to get along with his mother if she knew he hated me! It had to start with him.

But, for my luck, after I found out our parents were dating, he started completely avoiding me (if that wasn't what he was doing before).

I would take a step towards him, and he would take 10 steps away from me, And even though he also tried to drag Luke away from me, he knew I meant well and we talked a little bit, in a sort of awkward way, i guess, but i still considered that a step closer to getting to Zander.

But anyway, as the week eventually went by, an important announcement came on Wednesday.

Mrs. Watts informed us that we would be having a program of discovering different professions. So, every month, a professional from some area would come and talk to us about their job. And so, we were getting someone on friday.

I stood up and asked her what the professional that was gonna come on friday was going to be about, but she replied she didn't know any more, and I was left with the doubt in my head...

On Thursday, it was soccer practice again, and I had the chance to talk to Luke about it between classes. He bitterly ranted to me about how Nick purposefully chose him into the team, even though he had attempted to do bad on purpose. We talked for a while, as we walked through the halls over to the lockers.

But one thing really rubbed me the wrong way.

He was extremely nice.  I didn't get it.

How come he managed to put up with Zander's mean butt if he was so polite all the time? Wasn't it annoying?

I wanted to ask him, but that just seemed so utterly rude...

He seemed to notice that I was looking at him weird, because once he finished his previous statement, he asked: "Is... everything okay?"

Startled by the question, I quickly blurted out an "PFFB- I... I just-! Uhhh..." I slowly sighed "H-how.... W- why are you even friends with Zander, Luke?" I finally asked.

He opened his eyes, kinda surprised. "What do you mean?"

I started to explain...

"Like... He's so rude! I mean, sure! Maybe he's not the worst, but he's still a total meanie! Why would you put up with that?"

Luke put on a sweet smile, and scoffed lightly. "Bold of you to assume he's always like that, Hailey"

"Huh?"

"He can get snappy around you, but he's not like, always angry! He's a load of fun, actually..." he said this defyingly, as if he was determined to prove me wrong.

"R-really? You think that??"

"I know that."

We walked up to the lockers, as I thought about what he said.

"So you're saying... something is wrong with me."

Luke turned to me, visibly confused at my conclusion.

"Why would you say that?"

"Because why else would he be so against me, there must be a reason for him to treat me like that! so, Clearly there must be-"

"Your parents are dating, Hailey, what other reason do you need?"

"Wha- B-but... Wait! How do you know that!?"