Goodnight

I barely pick at my dinner chewing on it for hours before I finally exit my room to take it to the kitchens. It was quiet on the ship at this time, only a few guards on patrol. We typically have nothing to worry about, so only five soldiers man the ship. After discarding my tray I find myself at the front of the ship. Leaning on the railing and taking deep breaths of the salty air. "It's quite late for a princess to be roaming the ship unattended," I hear a deep friendly voice I turn to see Iroh approaching me.

"It's quite late for retired generals to be awake," I joke and he laughs "You're probably right," he answers looking out over the sea with me. "You seem troubled Honna," he tells me and I laugh lightly under my breath "that may just be the understatement of a lifetime," I tell him. "Your nephew is the most confusing guy I've ever had the privilege of knowing," I confess "Zuko is a complicated young man, but he means well," Iroh tries to pursue me. I nod "I suppose, but I finally felt like we were more than two angry teens. Then he yells at me in the hallway for no reason? I just don't understand," I say letting my head drop slightly and hair fall into my face.

"Zuko cares about you more than you know. He lets his shame of everything that has led you to this point prevent him from showing how he truly feels. He believes you hate him," Iroh tells me, and I lift my head to look at the moon rising on the horizon over the ocean. We stand there silent for a long time "I wish I could hate him," I say barely audible "it would be so much easier... but I still remember that kid in the palace who brought me presents. I see something in him that he doesn't even see in himself... I think in some twisted complicated way I love Zuko. I just don't know where to start with who or what we are," I tell Iroh and I suddenly feel tears stinging the corners of my eyes.

I want to tell Iroh that I don't know if capturing the Avatar is right but as soon as the thought comes I push it down, not wanting to acknowledge everything right now. I look up towards the sky trying to fight back the tears threatening to spill. "You and Zuko have had very complicated lives. You have been forced on a troubled path, but I believe together you will flourish into the people you were always meant to be," Iroh tells me as he grabs my hand squeezing it tightly and I look over at him with a gentle smile. "Thank you Iroh, I needed this," I tell him hugging him before I flee back into the ship. 

As I walk back I find myself in front of Zuko's door, and I stand hesitantly for a moment before tapping my knuckles against his door. I hear no movement or words from the other side so I slowly push open the door. The room is dark and I see Zuko's figure tucked under the bright red blanket draped across the bed. I know I shouldn't but I feel drawn inside the room, and I carefully step inside. My princess training has numerous alarms ringing in my head about how I shouldn't be in his room alone under no circumstances, yet here I am carefully walking to the empty side of his bed. 

I quietly pull open his drawer and hunt out a tank top and pajama pants. I check again to make sure Zuko is sleeping before discarding my robe and putting on his clothes. I hear the alarms in my head ringing louder when I pull back the blanket and lay in the bed next to Zuko. Zuko stirs and he opens his eyes slightly to see me settling in next to him. "Honna, what are you doing here?" he asks shocked as I find myself cuddling up to him "I don't hate you Zuko," I tell him before I close my eyes. I can feel Zuko's nerves, and I know as many alarms are going through his head like mine. Nonetheless I feel his arms wrap around me pulling me into his chest. "Goodnight Honna," I hear him mumble into my hair as we drift off to sleep.