Runic

I walked onto Zhao's sink with Iroh letting my features portray the grieving widow, and as my sister and mother comforted me I cried for Zuko. Underneath the surface rage stewed, I knew who was responsible for this, and if I had it my way he'd pay for it. I sat alone in the room they'd given me to stay in when I heard the door opening. I expected Zuko in his guard's disguise, but instead, I was greeted by my sister's betrothed Runic. "Runic, it's rude to barge into a woman's room," I criticize, and he smirks.

"I came to try and console you, Honna," he tells me as he crosses the room in long strides. I fight the urge to scrunch my face in disgust as his hand lands on my arm. "I appreciate your sympathy Runic, but shouldn't you be with my sister?" I ask reminding him of his engagement and he shrugs. "Zulma is so young isn't she," He notes as he moves behind me placing both hands on my shoulders. "I don't see the importance of her age," I told him trying to move but his grip tightens on me. " You and I however are much closer in age, and I know you wish your sister had more time to enjoy her youth. Maybe even fall in love properly," Runic told me.

My skin crawled at the implications, to his knowledge Zuko had just died, a young man I'd been with since I was five. "I am a grieving widow Runic? I'm still in my mourning black, and you suggest my hand?" I ask him disgustedly and he moves to face me and grabs my chin in his grasp. "You should consider my proposal Honna, not many men want damaged goods," he tells me eyes traveling me up and down lingering on my scar. 

I push him off dropping my proper attitude "You disgust me, get out of my sight! My sister will hear of this, and I think this may be grounds for an end of your betrothal," I tell him and he seethes with anger before storming out. I stare at the door with a steely gaze disgusted and enraged, "If I didn't need to stay hidden I would have killed him," I heard Zuko's voice as he emerges from the shadows of my room. "I would have killed him if I believed I could get away with it," I tell him staring at the door still.

Zuko lets out a low laugh "That's the most non-princess thing I've heard you say since I've known you," he tells me and I laugh "Azula would have said it, therefore, it is a princess thing," I tell him now turning to him. Although our last fight still lingered in the air, I was just so happy he was alive, and I embrace him for that simple fact. "You're a better princess than Azula will ever be," Zuko says in a low murmur. I laugh at the statement, but I don't say anything trying to enjoy these seconds of solitude.

"I need to be leaving," Zuko told me after a long minute "I can't risk anyone finding us together," he continues and I sigh relinquishing my grasp on the prince. "Be safe," I tell him cupping his bruised face gingerly before he slides the horrible mask back into place. "I will be," he tells me and leaves quickly before he changes his mind. We just need to get to the North Pole and the Avatar will be ours, I think to ,myself, but the usual guilt has already formed in my stomach at the mere thought.