The Moon Spirit

When storming into the city, I stay close to Iroh. My entire focus was on finding Zuko, recent events had me on edge and I worried for his safety. "Where do you think they'll be?" I ask Iroh as the sky overhead sent down a blood-red moon "I have a feeling that Zuko isn't the one in need of saving right now," Iroh tells me eyes focused on the moon above us, and I furrow my brow. I follow Iroh who is moving fast and with purpose and I grow increasingly more on edge. Unsure of what would put Iroh on edge like this.

We enter into an oasis to see Zhao standing giving a monologue about being the moon slayer. In his hand he holds a bag "Is that?" I ask Iroh in shock "The moon spirit," Iroh confirms I watch in suppressed amusement when the Avatar's flying lemur jumps onto Zhao. I'm quick on connecting the dots my eyes looking to where the Avatar has landed, and I can see on top of his bison's saddle is my Prince. I leave Iroh's side to hurry to Zuko's aide, seeing ropes wrapped around him tightly. 

I am quick and careful taking advantage of the situation with the moon spirit to get to Zuko undetected. "Zuko," I call to him as I get on top of the bison, "Honna?" he asks groggy, "I'm going to get you out of here, stay still," I tell him as I use my bending to create a knife of flame. I carefully cut him out as the moon vanishes from sight. I stare up at it in disbelief "he's getting away," Zuko murmurs hurrying off the bison to follow after Zhao. I stay with Iroh staring at the fish, the moon spirit, in disbelief. How could Zhao do it?

"It's over, there's no hope now," I hear the Water Tribe Princess declare in a choked voice. The Avatar's tattoo begins to light up "No, it's not over," He says a choir of voices comes out instead of his usual voice. He steps into the water and takes the form of the water spirit, and I stare in disbelief. I furrow my brow and feel a familiar uncertainty come over me, this kid, why? Why is he so bad? I sit next to Iroh and can feel the glares from the Avatar's friends as I do.

Iroh inspects the spirit for life, but lays it back into the water with a sad expression "It's too late, it's dead," she announces and I stare up into the sky and feel an uneasy feeling. The Fire Nation did this, my Nation did this I kept thinking on repeat. Iroh looks at the Princess of the Water Tribe with a shocked expression "You have been touched by the moon spirit. Some of its life is in you," he tells her, and her eyes although sad seem to shine in the darkness. "Yes, you're right... It gave me life, maybe I can give it back," she says and I'm shocked by her proposal.

Iroh holds the spirit ready to let the girl do what she can but Sokka grabs the Princess's sleeve trying to stop her. "No! You don't have to do that!" he objects "It's my duty, Sokka," she tells him refusing to look back eyes focused on the spirit in front of her. "I won't let you," he continues to plead with her and I feel my heartbreak for him. "Your father told me to protect you!" he continues trying to persuade her, but she has made up her mind.

"I have to do this," she insists pulling away from the boy and placing both of her hands on the fish. We watch in stunned silence as light emits from where her hands make contact with the fish. She closes her eyes slowly before falling "No!" Sokka shouts as he catches the girl. He places his hand on her to feel her pulse before looking back at us "She's gone," he tells us before turning towards her and pulling her closer "She's gone," he repeats as he tells himself as his voice breaks. He clings onto the girl before she vanishes into thin air startling us all.

As she vanishes the fish glows, when Iroh places it back into the water it swims once again life restored. I watch with shock as the glow takes the form of a spirit in front of our very eyes, it's the princess. I turn away from the scene feeling as if I am not meant to be here, my Nation caused all of this. I closed my eyes as the moon appears back into the sky above us. Sokka looked at it with glossy eyes and I knew I had to flee. 

When Iroh joins me we find Zuko constructing a small sail on a piece of driftwood essentially. We all three step on and set sail quickly knowing we will not be welcomed here. As Zuko sleeps I'm wide awake feeling restless and unsure of myself. What if we're not meant to capture the Avatar?