Wedding of Duty and Honor

Reports have been slow going, we basically sailed in the only direction we knew the Avatar was going North. I hadn't been sleeping well since visiting Aunt Wu and had started wandering the ship, but tonight while we were docked I took advantage of wandering the embankment. As I was returning to our ship I noticed all of our crew exiting off board, and a familiar ship closely docked. The pieces clicked in my mind instantaneously "Zulma, Mom... and Zhao," I said aloud marching towards their ship in a fury. "What is going on here!" I demanded Zhao as I approached.

"Princess, your crew is coming with me for an expedition to the North Pole," Zhao explains and I furrow my brows "You can't do that! Prince Zuko and I outrank you! You don't order us around," I tell him and he gives me a sinister smirk. "Princess... May I remind you of your banishment?" he says in a mocking tone making me seethe with anger. "I do outrank you," he tells me and I gnash my teeth as Zuko comes up behind me. "Don't waste your time Honna," Zuko tells me and I grimace. "I want to see my family!" I demand raising my chin and Zhao nods "Right this way," he obliges.

I march onto the vessel and let my anger dissipate at the sight of my sister, but have to fight it coming back up seeing her betrothed by her side. "Zulma!" I exclaim as I embrace my sister and then I nod my head to the boy beside her "I presume you're Runic?" I ask and he smiles resembling his father. "An honor Honna," he tells me and I lift my chin in disgust "Princess Honna," I correct and look back at Zhao. "Did you not teach him how to speak to the royal family?" I ask and Zhao scowls at his son.

I link my arm with Zulma and ignore the men "How have you been?" I ask and she sighs lightly "Well, Mother is boiling about your wedding or lack thereof," Zulma explains and I nod knowing my mother's thoughts on tradition. "It's dishonorable to forsake tradition," my mother's voice chimes in as she steps into the room. I smile at her "What would you have me do Mother get married out in the embankment?" I ask and she nods "Yes," she continues and I try not to scoff.

My eyes meet Zuko's who'd followed me onto the ship, and try to think of something to say. "We have an official," Mother continues running up to me and looking back to Zuko, eyes pleading. I feel my throat run dry "May I speak with Prince Zuko, alone for a moment?" I ask feeling my hands grow slightly sweaty at the idea. "As you wish Princess, but your Mother is correct your honor is at stake," Zhao says rubbing salt into an already deep wound. Once they all exit the room I scoff "My own Mother," I say shaking my head.

"I'm sure she doesn't do it to hurt you," Zuko says, and I huff "Well we have no choice, if we don't our honor will be even more damaged than it already is," I tell him and Zuko looks at me an unreadable expression on his features. "If it's what you want," he tells me surprising me "It's what must be done," I correct before going to the door. "Gather the official!" I announce and my mother wraps me in a hug strong enough to break bones before leading me away. "You'll have to wear my dress but I'm sure it'll fit you. This will be a wonderful day to look back on!" My mother begins to rattle on.

My mother took me into her and my father's room where she pulled out a red and white dress with gold accents.

Zulma and Mother took careful time forcing me into the dress, and my mother was right it fits like a glove. I looked in the mirror and felt no excitement, feeling like this too was something taken out of my control. They painted my face and took my hair down from its usual high ponytail, and I felt dread begin to pool in my stomach as they continued to do this. 

I thought about Zuko though as they continued and I finally felt some peace. At least I was marrying him and not the monster my mother had married. Zuko and I were friends, so we would rule and take care of each other the best way we knew how. When I was finally led onto the embankment I could see a small crowd had gathered, Iroh, the official, and Zuko in the middle of it all. 

I could see the dirt already leaching onto my dress, but I pretended that this was all wonderful, that we weren't being forced by duty and honor. I drowned everything out until it came time for the vows "I vow to honor you and tend your flame, whenever it shall flicker or dim. I Zuko will lift you up as you light my way, and will never extinguish your flame," Zuko spoke as he looked at me actually seeming happy for a moment in this swirl of chaos.

"I Honna will light your way, I will forever tether my honor to yours and burn when you burn, I am yours," I tell him and with that, the official smiles "Prince Zuko you may now kiss your bride," he tells him and Zuko leans down sealing our union. This kiss felt different than others but maybe it was because this one truly sealed our fate. "I announce to all present the newlywed's Prince Zuko and Princess Honna!" the official shouts as we pull apart.

I stare into Zuko's eyes my husband's eyes...

Okay I know none of us were expecting this but it has happened Honna and Zuko are married which is crazy but royals have never been sane