By any other name - Part 1 - Mycroft x Reader

Now I know I have yet to finish my last Mycroft imagine, but his voice came to me with this, and who am I to refuse a Holmes. Hope you enjoy.

Mycroft made his way through the bustling streets of London. He wouldn't normally be doing this of course. Usually, he had far too much to do to find time to just walk down the street as if he were just like everyone else. Which he wasn't, obviously. That, and the goldfish that filled the capital, had a tendency of just irritating him. But today was different for some reason. Today, he had decided that he would spend his lunch time mixing with the hoi polloi. The great unwashed. That he would walk in the afternoon sun and see if there was anything that he had been missing out on. He doubted it though. He prided himself on not only having his finger on the pulse of the British government, but also............

"Oh, I'm so sorry." A voice came, as Mycroft bumped into something, or should that be someone.

"I should have been looking..................Mycroft? Mycroft Holmes. Is.......is that you?" The voice continued. The older Holmes looking up from brushing off his long coat, to see the woman in front of him. A woman he hadn't seen in a very long time.

"(Y/n)? I..........I didn't think that.............I thought........."

"Is everything alright?" A young, tall, handsome man interjected, as he came to stand behind the lady. Mycroft eyeing him. Sure, that despite the fact that he had never seen him before, the boy had a familiar look to him.

"I'm fine. I just bumped into an old.........friend. I suppose that I should really introduce you. Mycroft, I would like you to meet my son........Dante. Dante, this is Mycroft." (Y/n) announced. Mycroft shaking the young man's hand. The two looking at one another. Both men taking in everything they could about the other.

"It's nice to meet you sir. Mom, if you're ok, I'm just going to check out that store.............."

"Dante, I think I can look after myself. And I doubt that Mycroft here is going to run off with me. So go, but don't go too far. After all this time away from London, we might both get lost." (Y/n) chuckled, as her son placed a kiss to her cheek, gave Mycroft a respectful yet suspicious nod and then darted through the early afternoon traffic.

"He's a very handsome young man. You and his father must be very proud of him." Mycroft said, as he watched the boy push his way into the shop.

"Dante doesn't have a father. Neither of us have ever needed one. His biological father doesn't even know that he exists, and probably wouldn't care even if he did. And it's not his looks that I am proud of Mycroft, it's his mind. He's just turned seventeen and he starts his first term at Oxford in a few weeks. That's why I am back here. I thought as he was coming to England, I would follow. That, and I've got a partnership in a little private practice not far from my new home. I thought a little change of scenery would do me good." (Y/n) explained, as she turned her gaze from across the road to the man by her side. A small smile creeping across her lips, as Mycroft continued to just look at her. The older Holmes sure that she was as beautiful, as the last time that he laid eyes on her.

All those years ago, he had pushed her away because he had thought more about his career. He had concerned himself more with work than he had her. He had even undermined her. Telling her that her career as a doctor was nothing compared to what he did. That it was so much more important. And in the end, he had more or less completely taken to ignoring her. Barely ever seeing her, never mind talking to her. He couldn't blame her for leaving him. For going to America without saying a word. For having the life that she had always wanted. But a son? A seventeen year old son. That would mean that she must have fallen pregnant around the same time...................

"Anyway. I hate to nearly knock you over and run, but Dante and I have things that we need to do. These next couple of weeks will fly by, and we still have so much that has to be done before he can head off to university. That, and I am sure that he still wants to see a few more sights before we return to the Cotswolds later, avoiding the evening rush hour of course. He even mentioned wanting to see Baker Street. He's a big fan of your brother's cases you see. Of Doctor Watson's blogs. But you never know, perhaps we will meet again. I know the world is a big place, but I'm sure that the great Mycroft Holmes still has a long reach and can make it much smaller." (Y/n) explained, as she held out her own hand for Mycroft to shake. The doctor giving him one last smile before she pulled her hand from his and made her way over to the shop into which her son disappeared. Leaving Mycroft standing there. The older Holmes not sure whether what he was beginning to think, could be true.

                                                          >>----------------------------------<<

"Who was that guy, mom?" Dante asked, as his mother made her way into the shop and joined him in front of a large display case.

"I told you. He's just an old friend. Someone I used to know when I was doing my internship at Saint Barts.................."

"He doesn't seem very nice. In fact, he seemed cold and condescending if you ask me..............."

"Your grandparents used to say exactly the same thing. They never really liked him either. But occasionally he did have his moments. Admittedly they became very few and far between by the end; but sometimes, he could be a very sweet man when he let down his guard." (Y/n) interrupted with a small chuckle, as she took hold of her son's arm.

"But less about Mycroft. You won't have to see him again; I'll make sure of that. Though I would at this moment like to see the inside of a restaurant. I don't know about you, but all this sightseeing really has given me an appetite. I'm starving." (Y/n) continued, as the two made their way back onto the street. The flow of Londoner and tourist alike, sweeping the pair along with them. Neither seeming to notice that Mycroft had stayed to watch. The older Holmes slowly taking his cell phone from his pocket before making a call.