By any other name - Part 3 - Mycroft x John x Reader

"Mom, look!" Dante exclaimed excitedly, as he raced into the living room with his laptop in hand. (Y/n) almost dropping the glass vase that she was unwrapping to the floor, at the sudden shout.

"What.........? Are you all right?" The mother enquired, as her son dropped onto the sofa.

"All right, mom? All right? I'm great! Look what Doctor Watson has just put up on his site. It's a competition. The winner and a guest will get to go to Baker Street and meet not only the doctor, but also Sherlock. Can you imagine, getting the chance to meet Sherlock Holmes? The Sherlock Holmes." Dante beamed, as he read the details of the contest. (Y/n) sighing heavily, as she fell into the seat across from her son.

She should have known that something like this would have happened. She should have known that mentioning that Dante was a fan of his brother, was too much information to give Mycroft. It obvious that the older Holmes was still able to get other people to do what he wanted. Still able to pull people's strings. Even this Doctor Watson. (Y/n) still knowing Mycroft well enough to know, that this had all been done so that he could meet her and Dante again. That it had all been set up just right. Yet what was she to say? She couldn't tell her son not to enter the competition. Even from a young age, Dante had loved reading about the consulting detective's cases. Enjoyed trying to solve them, before the doctor explained how Sherlock had deduced who the bad guy was. It more than obvious that the apple hadn't fallen far from the tree, as each time her son would tell her who he though it was, he had been proved right, as the doctor revealed the ending of the case.

"Well, that sounds very exciting, sweetie. What do you have to do.............?"

"The doctor has put up the details of one of Sherlock's cases that he hasn't ever written about. That's not even been in the news. All I have to do, is deduce who the criminal is from the information given." Dante explained, his eyes scanning the information that the doctor had placed on his site.

"I am sure that if anyone can solve one of Sherlock Holmes' cases, then its you. But are you sure that you really want to meet this doctor and the detective? I mean......... sometimes meeting one's idols can ruin things. Take away the mystique of that person. Especially when you realise that they are just people like you and me. That they aren't so different............."

"Mom?! You know that I've wanted to meet Sherlock, forever. And Sherlock isn't like anyone else. He's Sherlock Holmes." Dante retorted, as he got to his feet and kissed her on the cheek before disappearing back to his room. (Y/n) letting out another sigh, as she leant back in her chair.

"Oh, believe me when I say, I know that Sherlock isn't like anyone else. Nor is his big brother, unfortunately. And I have an awful feeling that even if you can't solve the case, we will find ourselves at Baker Street." (Y/n) told no one. The doctor combing her fingers through her hair in frustration. Knowing that she was going to have to watch what was going on every step of the way. Sure, that Mycroft would have devised something else for when she and Dante stepped foot into his brother's address.

                                                           >>-------------------------------<<

"Well.........?" Mycroft enquired, as he looked over John's shoulder.

"Yeah, here he is. Dante (Y/l/n). He sent through his solution not long after I put the case up." John replied, as he searched through the multitude of responses to the competition that he had put up.

"And................?"

"And what................?" The doctor retorted, as he turned to look at the older Holmes.

"Did the young man solve Sherlock's case.............?"

"Um............yeah............" John replied, as he read through the boy's response.

"And the way he has come up with the solution, is quite interesting." The doctor added with a chuckle, as he slowly closed his laptop.

"Well.........you have your winner, doctor. As soon as you have advised the young man, about when he and his mother can come here, I would like you to inform me." Mycroft stated, before turning and making his way back to the front door.

"So............son, huh?" John called out. Mycroft turning back and glaring at Sherlock, who was keeping himself busy by plucking on his violin's stings and looking out onto the street below.

"There.........there is a chance...............yes." Mycroft replied. The older Holmes not really in the mood to speak about his past with the doctor. But having a feeling that if he didn't, John might change his mind about having (Y/n)'s son win the competition. It obvious from the look on his face, that the ex-Captain of the Fifth Northumberland Fusiliers, wasn't happy about all this subterfuge.

"And bringing him and his mother here, how do you think that's going to help you find out whether you're a father or not..........?"

"Please doctor, there is more than one way to, as they say, skin a cat. I already have something in mind to help with that. Something that will not require your participation, or for you to put your morals and ethics on the line any further........and before you ask, why can't I just speak to the mother? Believe me when I say, that (Y/n) would not be interested in freely divulging that information. Anyway, I think that you and she will find that you have a lot in common. She has been a trauma surgeon in America for over nearly two decades. I am sure that you and she can share a few war stories while Sherlock and I speak to the young man............" Mycroft explained. Giving Sherlock one last glare, before turning back to the door.

"Oh, and doctor................"

"Yes, Mycroft................?"

"Thank you for your assistance." Mycroft continued, before opening the door and exiting the flat. Leaving John to wish that he had recorded that thank you. The doctor sure that he would never hear another one from the older Holmes.