By any other name - Part 9 - Mycroft x Reader

Now, I know that this might seem that there is no way of giving the lovely Mycroft love, but I have an idea that might just involve a certain consulting criminal, so please forgive this sad chapter and know that it will get better.

"Well..........sitting down would be a start." The older Holmes replied, as he slowly removed his hand from her arm. (Y/n) letting out a heavy sigh, as she reluctantly moved back to her chair and took a seat. The doctor now sure that she might just have to do more than slap Sherlock the next time that she saw him.

She hadn't actually come out and said that yes, Dante was Mycroft's, but she knew that she hadn't had to. Sherlock wasn't a fool. He could unfortunately read most people like an open book. So, there had been no point in trying to deny things when he had just come out and asked. But she had hoped, admittedly quite foolishly, that Sherlock would be a little more discrete when he had gone to speak with his brother. But it would appear that the younger Holmes might have just told Mycroft everything that she had said.

"Ok, so, I'm sat. Now, are you going to tell me what you want, or not?" (Y/n) enquired, as she waited. Mycroft seeming to muse for a moment.

"The boy............your son, is mine...........ours...........?"

"Yes, Mycroft. You are the biological father of Dante. But that doesn't mean that you have the right, any right to call him your son. Dante is the only thing I have now. He has the world before him. A world that I worked nearly every day for the past seventeen years to give him. And I am not letting you ruin that. I am not letting you step into his life and turn him into............into you. Dante is sweet and kind. Loving. Everything that you aren't and will never be. So, now you know, I want you to leave my office. I want you to stay out of my life, and I want you to stay out of Dante's life. Because if you don't, Mycroft. British Government or not, I will make you regret it. Now, I would like you to leave..................." (Y/n) retorted. Doing her best to hold back the tears that so desperately wanted to fall. The doctor having no desire to cry because of the older Holmes ever again. Knowing that she had already spent too many nights crying for a man that didn't care.

Mycroft sat there. For the first time in his life, lost for words. Thinking he might have a son, was one thing. But for (Y/n) to come out and confirm it. To take away all doubt, was another thing. He had a son. He, Mycroft Holmes had a son. But it was obvious from her words, from the look in her eyes, that actually being able to say anything to his son. Actually, being able to meet him properly rather than the fleeting introduction that (Y/n) had made when they had bumped into one another in London, was going to be virtually impossible. Mycroft had seen that fire in his ex-lover's beautiful orbs before. It wasn't that she had a temper, far from it. She had always been so calm when they were together. Mycroft never able to recall a time that he had seen her angry. It was that she had a determination like no one he had ever met before. And he had to admit that he had never seen her this determined before. The older Holmes tentatively reaching his hand across the desk and resting it on the doctors.

"(Y/n). I...................."

"Please, Mycroft. There is nothing that you can say. Nothing that you can do, that will change my mind about this. Dante has a lot to think about now, and the last thing that he needs, is a man, a stranger coming into his life and telling him that he's, his father. And the last thing I need is for you to screw up my life again. When I left you that night..........when you couldn't even be bothered to lift your head up from your work and listen to me tell you my wonderful news. When you couldn't even be bothered to find out that you were going to be a father, it nearly destroyed me. Because despite everything. Despite you not seeming to give a damn about me, my life or career.........I..........I loved you, Mycroft. Now please, just forget that you ever bumped into me. Just forget that you ever saw Dante. I mean............you did it once. You forgot all about me for seventeen years, so I'm sure they you can do it again." The doctor explained, as she slowly removed her hand from under his. Her eyes dropping to the top of her desk, as the first tear trickled down her cheek. The doctor cursing at herself for letting Mycroft have this effect on her, despite what she had told herself.

Mycroft moved back in his chair. He usually always knew what to say. Always knew what to do, but once again, he was speechless. She was right that he hadn't seemed to care as much as he should have done. That he had been too involved in his own career to take her into account, but he had loved her. And despite what she had said, there had barely been a day that had passed that he hadn't thought about her. Barely a day that he hadn't wondered where she was and what she was doing. Barely a day when he hadn't wondered how his life might have been, if she hadn't left him.

Suddenly a soft knock came to the door. (Y/n) quickly brushing away the tear from her cheek before she bid the person to enter. The receptionist poking her head around the consulting room door, once again.

"Yes, Sonia?"

"I'm sorry, doctor (Y/l/n). Um...........but Misses Donaldson if here for her appointment..............."

"Thank you. If you could just give me a couple of moments." (Y/n) replied. The receptionist giving a respectful nod, before closing the door behind her.

"Well, as you heard, my next patient is here. Believe it or not, Mycroft, it was nice to bump into you that day." The doctor continued, as she got back to her feet and moved around the desk to where Mycroft sat. Offering him her hand and helping him to his feet. The older Holmes feeling his heart beat a little quicker as she placed a soft kiss to his cheek, before making her way to the door and opening it.