The Knave of Hearts - Part 1 - Sherlock x John x Reader

I am going for the "Abominable Bride", Victorian version of Sherlock and John here. Please don't be surprised if this becomes a long one. I hope you like this sort of take.

Sherlock was bored and had been for some time. And that wasn't a good thing for anyone involved. He hadn't had a case in what felt like years, well that wasn't exactly true. It had actually only been a matter of weeks, and despite his complaints that every criminal in England must have gone to ground, he had actually received a large number of letters from all over the country asking him for his assistance with one case or another. But instead of taking anything that may have kept his mind busy, even if only for a short amount of time, he had just placed every letter on the fire. Watching as the pleas for help had gone up in flames.

John and Misses Hudson had begun to worry. Even at the best of times, Sherlock could be unpredictable. Often disappearing into the dark and dangerous places in his mind. His thoughts fixated on goodness knows what, drifting off to god only knew where. The unstimulated mind of the consulting detective, making him a danger to himself.

But now, as John made his way down the road, heading back towards Baker Street, Lestrade closely in tow. The doctor couldn't help but hope that Scotland Yard finally had a case that would intrigue the mind of the great Sherlock Holmes.

"Are ya sure that he'll take this one?" Lestrade grumbled, as he caught up with Watson. The two men coming to a halt as they reached the door of 221B.

Lestrade had not really been Sherlock's biggest fan at the best of times. But given the high profile of the case he knew that he needed the detectives help.

"A highly skilled thief that robs only the best and richest families in the country. A man that can get in and out of the grandest houses without being seen or heard by anyone. Taking only the finest jewellery from the strongest and best built safes. Always leaving behind a Knave of Hearts as his calling card. If Sherlock isn't intrigued by that, then I don't know what else to do." John replied, as he pushed his way through the door. The doctor smiling as Misses Hudson hurriedly appeared.

"Thank goodness that you are back, doctor. I haven't heard a sound from him since you've been gone. I have knocked on the door, but he hasn't answered." The older lady informed John, as she took his, and Lestrade's coats.

"Don't worry Misses Hudson. I'm back now. And if he had died up there, you would definitely know about it. There is no chance that Sherlock Holmes would ever leave this world quietly." Watson tried to reassure her, as he and Lestrade made their way up the stairs.

"I do hope that have found him a case, doctor." The landlady called out, as John and Lestrade slowly opened the door to Sherlock's rooms. Both hoping that the detective wasn't currently involved in an experiment that may result in something getting blown up.

"Watson?" Sherlock called out almost excitedly, as he heard the door close. The detective suddenly appearing from another room and dropping unceremoniously into his chair. John and Lestrade both eyeing Sherlock suspiciously, as a strange kind of......well............smile, pulled at his lips.

John could do nothing but shake his head. He had seen this strange look on his friends face once or twice before, and it could only mean one thing. Sherlock had found a case that really, really interested him.

"Where have you been, Watson? I have been waiting for you. I have received something very interesting in the mail." Sherlock informed the doctor as he rummaged through a large pile of post. The detective seemingly too lost in his own thoughts to see that Lestrade was in the same room.

"Where does it look like I've been?" Watson asked, as he pointed to Lestrade who was still standing next to the door.

"I've been to Scotland Yard in hopes that Lestrade had a case for you. You are driving Misses Hudson and myself insane. We think.........." John began, only stopping as he found himself looking at a smug Sherlock, holding a Knave of hearts card between his fingers.

"Oh, I already know about Scotland Yard's ongoing investigation into the Knave. I am quite aware of Lestrade's ineptitude as far as solving the case is concerned. But now, now we have been challenged." Sherlock declared, as he looked at the card.

"What are you talking about, Sherlock?" John asked, as he took his usual seat. Lestrade sitting in a highbacked wooden chair just across from the pair.

"The card, Watson. Don't you see? The Knave has sent his calling card as a message to us. He is challenging us to find him, goading us into coming after him. To do what Scotland Yard has thus far been unable to." Sherlock continued, as he suddenly got to his feet, and disappeared back into the room from which he had appeared.

"Well at least he's takin tha case." Lestrade noted, as he and John got to their feet, and made their way to see what Sherlock was up to.

John and Lestrade stood in the doorway. The two men wide eyed, as they stared at the wall before them that was covered in reports, drawings, and images from each of the stately homes that the Knave had already plundered. John not able to believe that the scene had sprung up between him leaving to go to Scotland Yard, and his return. Lestrade not able to believe that Sherlock had already been able to get his hands on a copy of the file.

"Where did you get all this?" John asked, as and the inspector moved closer to wall. Both of them examining what Sherlock had already accomplished.

"I have my sources; but never mind that now. What is important is that I know where the Knave will strike next." Sherlock announced triumphantly, as he pointed to the picture of a stately home.

"But that's Royston House. It's one of the most secure stately homes in the country. Lord Royston employs armed ex-poachers, games keepers and even those that served under him in the army, to roamed around his ground so that he can ensure his home and lands are protected. How do you know that the Knave would be foolish enough to strike there next?" John enquired, as he looked between Sherlock and Lestrade.

"That Watson.........that is precisely why the Knave will make that his next target. His crimes have got bigger and bolder as his confidence has grown, and what better place to prove how good he is, than to steal from under the nose of Lord Royston? Plus, our Knave has a number of things working in his favour. Firstly, Lord Royston's daughter, Lady (Y/n) Royston, returned a few months ago from the continent, after a number of years away, finishing her education in Paris. It is well known that the old man dotes on his only child, and is throwing a grand masked ball in her honour in a week's time. The ball will allow our Knave some anonymity. Allow him to mingle with the other guests without them knowing that he is there. Secondly, Lady (Y/n) dislikes the armed men walking the grounds, so with her return, security at the House has been less than it usually would be. Finally, the thief will strike that weekend as Lord Royston has purchased his daughter a one-of-a-kind necklace. The jewel at its center is said to worth a king's ransom." Sherlock continued, as he scrambled around in the papers on the desk. Pulling out a drawing of the said jewel and handing it to John.

"I have sent a telegram to his lordship advising him of my beliefs. I am waiting for his reply, but I am sure that you and I will both find ourselves invited up to Royston House, to not only make sure that his daughters' gift is safe. But also, his daughter." Sherlock informed his friend as he made his way out of the room.

"So, Watson. You might want to pack your best dress uniforms. I have been reliably informed that the Lady (Y/n) is not only incredibly intelligent, but also breathtakingly beautiful. And we want to make a good impression, don't we?" Sherlock called out. John shrugging as he and Lestrade followed Sherlock out of the room.