Chapter 12 - Favorites?

"Ripplespots, Ferret, join the border patrol," called Aldertwig.

          Ripplespots paused for a moment and responded, "Ferret really needs to work on her hunting."

         "Ivysting wants her on the patrol. She's accompanying it." He smirked, "and I'm sure the forest won't miss her scaring everything off."

         Ferret glared at him but said nothing. It wasn't worth it. The mentor sighed and gestured for her to follow with the evening patrol.

         It was extremely rare for the empress to join so the entire patrol was keeping in line. Especially Goldenbird; the leader of the patrol, who was hoping to be promoting to an Upperfang for his outstanding performance. Though what confused Ferret the most was why Ivysting particularly wanted to observe her, and she made it quite obvious she wasn't attempting to keep it a secret.

         The ginger patched tabby tom swished his tail oddly patiently, "We're going over the Wildlands border. Come on." He swept a stern gaze for everyone to be well behaved for Ivysting. The empress seemed unconcerned and yawned as they finally exited camp.

         "Shouldn't we go to the Glade Colony border?" piped Mothfang, uncertain but was shut down by a look from the Middleclaw.

          Ferret sighed, "The Wildland's border has been safe and free of trouble for ages. Why are we still patrolling it?" Ripplespots lashed his tail to stay quiet and Ferret winced at her ignorant statement.

         "You're a trainee, I wouldn't expect you to understand," grunted Goldenbird, continuing to trudge alone.

         "Actually," smiled Ivysting, "I want to know why as well."

         The Middleclaw gritted his teeth and stammered, "Well... just because a border has been safe for a few moons doesn't mean some good for nothing loners won't cause any trouble."

         Feeling confident from the empress's question, Ferret continued to push, "There haven't been hints of loner activity for moons. It would be more effective to patrol the Glade Colony border and send one or two cats to just mark the scent posts at the Wildlands border than an entire patrol that could be hunting during the cold season." Ferret smirked, Goldenbird was all muscle and action, not a logical thinker.

        "You're just a trainee, stay out of this!" he snarled with bitterness but his voice had an undertone of fear to it.

          Ivysting observed the situation disapprovingly, "For a trainee, she's quite bright. Better than you it seems," she swished her tail impatiently, "let us continue."

          They commenced but now towards a different border, one near the open plains. Goldenbird unsheathed his claws and bent down to Ferret's ears and whispered threateningly, "Keep in order, rogue."

          The ginger molly scoffed and kept walking. The protecter was already in a bad position, any report would eliminate his position immediately. His threats were empty, just there to instill fear. But it was to the wrong cat. Ferret wasn't afraid, she had the empress in her favor. The gray tabby seemed to take a liking in Ferret and she would take advantage of that.

Picture above is Goldenbird.

Well. Well. Well. It seems the empress herself has taken interest in Ferret. We'll have to see what happens with this discovery. Jealousy? Opportunities?

Any comments on personalities so far? I've been trying to keep it diverse and include tid bits from almost everyone.

Sorry the story has so many plot points, a lot of cats have a story to tell. Let's see if you can find some clues ;)