Chapter 15 - suspicions

"May I join the border patrol?" Ferretsky requested.

         Cherrybee tensed, "Well, how about you join on the hunting patrol?"

         Ferretsky narrowed her eyes, what was she playing at? She frowned, "I'm sure you're quite aware that my skills would better benefit a border patrol than a hunting mission?"

         "And I'm quite sure that you now I'm the council member and you're just an upperfang. Ivysting wouldn't want to hear the rogue is causing some trouble," the cream molly spat.

         "Oh, I'm not quite sure you'd want to do that," the protector played at, before dismissing it with a flick of an ear and responding, "I'll take a solo hunt."

         "Yea, unlikely. Whispershade will be accompanying."

         Ferretsky grunted in response and beckoned for the Middleclaw to follow as she left camp. She was a little glad it was Whispershade and not some peppy spirit, at least this way small talk was kept to a minimum.

         She pretended to scent the air and mewed, "I smell a starling." She beckoned her head to the east to show the other she-cat she would go catch by herself. 

         Whispershade gave a confused look but didn't argue. Ferretsky was known to be one of the best trackers in the clan, not one to be questioned. The upperfang smiled sweetly and stalked away. Now to investigate. If they were really on a border patrol, there would be some sort of evidence. Recently trampled ferns, broken twigs, new scent posts. There was nothing, the only evidence were stale scents from the day before yesterday's patrol. She lashed her tail angrily and turned back. Nothing, other than the fact the border patrol wasn't to the Gladeclan border, which was questionable but not overly shocking. 

         To not seem like a terrible huntress, she smelled the air once again. Magpie. She carefully stalked up to the bird, being a mere four feet away she leapt. The bird began to flap its wings to escape but was instantly killed as Ferretsky bit its wings and killed it. Ferretsky winced as the bird's claws scratched her cheek but ignored the tiny injury and returned to the area she left Whispershade. The other she-cat was burying a shrew near a stunted fir tree.

         "The starling got away but got this instead."

          Whispershade pinned her ears in suspicion of what took Ferretsky so long but did not speak, and instead shook her head and dismissed the thought, "I hear a woodpecker. Want to help me catch it?" The middleclaw's tone was awkward, she clearly was not the most charismatic feline.

Picture above is Whispershade.

I like to give most of the cats in the allegiances bits of personality in random chapters, and this time it was Whispershade's turn!

So, Ferret has her suspicions. DO you think Cherrybee is up to something or just bitter?