Bigger Fish

A/N- im not dead. sorry, I've had a lot going on as of late. I cut most of it out, but I'll probably upload the deleted stuff too. anyways, much love to you guys for still reading this after literal months. <3

Percy watched with watery eyes as Estelle walked into the classroom, letting go of her hand. It was her first ever day of "big kid school", and Estelle was now a proud member of kindergarten. He couldn't believe she was so old. Time felt like an illusion those days. He had to jump through some hoops trying to convince teachers and other student's parents  that he wasn't her father, and in fact, was her much older brother-- but not in an ICarly way, a responsible, legal guardian way. Utterly exhausting. Every time he was asked, he just thought of his own mom, and how she wouldn't be able to see her daughter's first day of school. And Estelle wouldn't get the experience of having a mom to talk to as she grew up. Thinking about that kind of stuff made his mood change, so he didn't think about it. He did, however, take a lot of pictures. He would never forget this day, even if he lived forever.

The first day of school just happened to be on Percy's birthday. He had to spend his birthday without the two living people he cared about most, his sister and his old boss. Tony had given him the gift of a life time, a promotion from assistant to  landlord of the Avenger's Tower. Ironically enough, Percy thought he might have to get an assistant, but Percy was selfish. He would rather have Tony back than the job. They talked on the phone and stuff, but it just wasn't the same.  

Time felt stagnant for him. His birthday was a few days prior, and Jazmine had insisted on throwing a huge party at he tower. She had started seeing this nice girl and they were getting pretty serious, so Percy was happy for her. William had opened a comic book shop, which was basically his dream job. Percy was glad that they were doing well. He, however, was not doing so hot. Since he was immortal, his birthday didn't really seem very special. It marked another year further from his mom, step-dad, and Annabeth.

Percy was beginning to forget Annabeth's voice. Her scent was a vague and distant memory. He hated that. 

He didn't have much to do after he dropped off Estelle, so he got his morning coffee and took Luke for a walk. Luke was getting older and walking slower. He would be turning nine sooner than later. That dog had no clue how much of an impact he had on keeping Percy sane. 

When Percy wasn't taking care of business at the tower or with Estelle, he was swimming or working out. He liked feeling in control of his life, so he did the little things he could to ensure that. Since most of his life was being manipulated anyways, it was nice to know that he still had some autonomy. He had brought Luke back to the tower and slipped his running shoes on so he could job through Central Park. 

It was a beautiful day in August-- not swelteringly hot, just a nice breeze. He had his earbuds in and was blasting music louder than he should have, so when his phone rang he jumped three feet in the air. He yanked his earbuds out of his ears and grimaced because the blaring ringtone was reverberating in his head. He took a second to recoup and checked the caller ID. Natasha? That wasn't a good sign. Though they were friends, she didn't call unless something was wrong. 

"Hey, Nat. What's wrong?" 

"Why do you assume something's wrong?" She questioned.

Percy rolled his eyes and was glad she couldn't see him. "My bad. What's up." 

"Get down here quick. Something weird happened. Like, really weird." She explained. 

"That sounds like something's wrong, dork." Percy replied.

"Shut up and get down here. Thanks." She hung up before he could retort. 

Percy snorted and hurried to find a private place where he could flash to the compound. He honestly felt really bad for Natasha. She had lost quite a few people to the Blip. Not to mention that Clint Barton, who was a good friend of hers, had gone rogue. He wasn't let in on everything, but he knew enough to know why Nat had been so edgy lately. When he managed to find some cover, closed his eyes and teleported.