07. chasing after donkeys

"Aye, Cecilia ! Let go of your brother for a minute, will you !" You help the four-years-old escape his older sister, looking around for Camilo and not finding him. Suddenly, a child amongst the others turns into Carlos, making most of them turn quiet.

"Everyone calm down." Is all he has to say to get their attention. You were back at the marketplace, it was nearly noon and the parents would soon pick up their kids. When all of them are finally gone, you nudge your cousin, who finally turns back into Camilo and gives you a high five.

"Well done. You're getting better at impersonating Carlos."

"What do you mean ? He's shit." A familiar voice sounds behind you, making you turn around with an accusing frown.

"Carlos."

"(Y/n)." He leans on the wall with a smirk, mocking you.

"Where have you been again ? We kind of needed someone to terrorize the kids here."

"I think you can do that just fine, prima."

You look at Camilo for support, but he just shrugs. How helpful.

"That's... True, thank you for bringing that up. Why did you even decide to show up then ?"

"Well..." He sighs, visibly annoyed. "Tía Julieta sent me. Lunch is ready, does she have to cook something for you or are you eating outside ?"

Camilo looks at you, but you gently push him towards his twin and send them off. You had someone you wanted to eat with. Someone who was way too busy to stop by at the house to have lunch.

You buy some fruit from the market, being as polite as possible with the merchant who couldn't even look into your eyes as he gave you your change, and head towards the edge of the town, where you were sure to find the person you were looking for.

A donkey suddenly passes by you, meaning she was probably not so far from you. You grab the broken leash around his neck and wait for your sister to show up. And soon enough, she does.

"(Y/n) ! Hi." Luisa beams when she sees you waiting for her with the donkey. "Whatcha doing here ? It's lunch time."

"What do you think ? I came to have lunch with you. It's time you take a break."

You both start walking towards the donkey's patio, debating whether Luisa should take a deserved break or eat the lunch Julieta had packed for her in a few minutes, as usual. You somehow convinced her that getting some rest for half an hour wouldn't stop the Encanto from running, and you ended up sitting under the shadow of an oak tree in a field, not far from the donkeys. You shared the fruits you had bought, and the sandwiches your mother had given Luisa in the morning. There was always too much, either because she was scared Luisa would be hungry or because she knew you'd sometimes eat with her.

"They keep escaping." Luisa munches on her sandwich, eyes not leaving the donkeys and poorly built fences. "I offered to build stronger ones, but the owner keeps saying it's not my job and that he'll do it on his own. It's nice of him, ya know, but it's been three months and he still hasn't done it."

"He's right though. It's not your job if you don't want it to be. But yeah, he should really fix his fences, it just gives you more work in the end."

"It's those donkeys. They're capable of thinking like us, I'm telling ya. They think they're sly, but I can see it in their eyes."

You meditate on that for a few minutes, the donkeys peacefully grazing under your gaze.

"You must be right. Anyway, Luisa, are you okay ? You seemed tired this morning."