42. the Madrigal plant

"(Y/n)! (Y/n)!"

You look around for whoever was calling you, utterly confused. You were just trying to peacefully walk around your nearly finished house.

"I'm finally going crazy. Hearing voices and shit."

"No, you idi- we're behind the plant!"

"Ooooh," you let out before swiftly jumping over the plant, landing in between Pepa and Bruno who flinched as they didn't expect you to do such a thing.

"You could have killed one of us," Pepa states very seriously before shrugging it off. "Anyway, you and Luca are together?"

Your head snaps to Bruno. "You snitched."

He tenses up, looking left, then right, as if searching for any excuse to get himself out of this situation. Except he was sandwiched between a plant and a wall, which did not give much place to imagination.

"No, no, I... I... Yes I did," he admits, then abruptly points at Pepa. "She tricked me!"

"I did?" Your aunt is outraged, ready to throw hands, revolted. You turn to her. "Alright, yeah, I did."

You sigh. "I meant to tell you soon anyway. Yeah, he's my boyfriend."

"Uh," Pepa nods. "Alright. He better not hurt you or-"

"Nah, it's good. Mira, Luisa and the twins already warned him."

"Did Carlos threaten to cut his balls?"

"Pepa!" Bruno gasps, but you nod.

"My boy!" Pepa snickers evilly. You and your uncle exchange terrified looks. "Well then, congrats! My niece's all grown up!"

"I am."

Pepa seizes you into a tight side hug, squeezes your cheeks with a proud smile, and then heads off, surprising a few people that didn't expect the Madrigal to randomly pop out from behind a plant.

You're left alone with Bruno, who awkwardly looks at the wall in front of him. You do the same.

"I'm happy for you, niña," he speaks softly, and you smile, resting your head on his shoulder.

"I'm happy for me too. I feel great lately."

"I'm glad. Things have gotten better, haven't they?"

"They sure did. People feel guilty so they do all kinds of things for me. That's funny. And there's all kinds of rumors going around about Angela now. I would feel bad, but, eh. Taste of her own medicine. But seriously, it's like people never change. With all that story, they didn't learn not to trust everything you hear."

Bruno giggles. "Yes. I think Carlos is behind a lot of these rumors, you know. He's been talking to a suspicious amount of people lately."

"Damn, I didn't know that! Boy's got my back. That's kinda cool."

"Yeah," your uncle laughs, then turns serious. "I'm sorry, niña."

Another apology? You were starting to get tired of them. You never knew what to answer. Thank you? You're forgiven? Fuck you bitch?

"What for?"

"I wasn't... there. I should have been."

"Oh, you mean when you left for ten years without telling everyone where you went, and I thought you were dead?"

He lowers his gaze. "Yes."

"It's okay. We've talked about this and I'm not mad anymore. It's water under the bridge, I mean, you're here now, and the sun shines, life is good. Jeez, I feel so great now that all this is settled!"