23. la familia Madrigal

"I really don't want to deal with anything today."

You crawl out of bed and stare off in the distance, exhausted. Yesterday, your teachers and Mrs. Estrada had the meeting that was meant to decide your punishment for hitting Angela. The bullying and provoking was taken into account, Mr. Diaz had gathered all the proof he could, even asking students to testify. Luca and Leta gladly agreed, and some students that were present in the cafeteria gave an objective description of the scene.

You were suspended for a month, the least severe punishment you could get. 

Mr. Diaz was your hero. He even apologized earlier this week for not noticing what was happening. You remember him sometimes encouraging you to make some friends, without knowing anything. It was very sweet.

Mrs. Estrada also defended your case in all objectivity, simply stating the facts, which was enough for the other teachers to build their own opinions of the incident, and the majority voted for the  short suspension. They still had to address Angela's bullying, and for that, they needed more time. 

But you didn't care, you were on vacation. A month-long vacation. You smile to yourself thinking of Luca still getting mad at the results, claiming you didn't deserve any punishment, and Leta promising she would visit whenever she could to show you the homework -the one that interested you only- and fill you in with whatever was going on at school.

Whatever ! Today was a special day. You were more nervous about it yesterday than for your punishment.

It was Antonio's fifth birthday. And his gift ceremony day. You weren't exactly allowed to go, considering half of the village still considered you a violent (human ?) being, the story with Angela having been told over and over again. You had gotten some stares from the villager during the last week, that you skillfully ignored. They feared you now more than ever, and that wasn't good for the family's reputation. 

It was best if you stayed unseen tonight, Abuela had said, and you were forced to agree. She was right. But that didn't mean you couldn't help with the preparations.

You dress up nicely, take a deep breath and step outside your room.

"Whoa ! But let's be clear, Abuela runs this show..."

Oh no.

Now, don't get mistaken. You were a Madrigal, you did enjoy participating in the songs you suddenly broke into out of nowhere. But, please, not today...

"Whoa ! She led us here so many years ago..."

You still dance along with your cousins as Abuela steps out of her room. On the other side of the first floor's balcony, Carlos looks as jaded as you. You then quickly eat your breakfast -you always had to do things quickly when one of you was singing, because time was always strangely distorted- as Mirabel continued singing.

"Whoa ! And every year our family blessings grow ! There's just a lot you've simply got to know, so ! Welcome to the family Madrigal !"

Mirabel grabs your hand and leads all of you out of the house, and the rest of your family goes to work on their tasks ; you don't have tasks anymore, every villager is scared of you. What are you supposed to do ?

"The home of the family Madrigal ! We're on our way ! Where all the people are fantastical and magical, I'm part of the family Madrigal !"

You keep wondering, stopping in your tracks and letting your family distance you as children surround your little sister with wide eyes and questioning mouths.

"Oh my god, it's them !"

"What are the gifts ?!"

"I can't remember all the gifts !"