33. selfish, entitled princess

"What are we even doing here?"

You, Mirabel and Bruno had been hiding in front of Isabela's door for the last ten minutes, and your sister kept rambling about how hugging Isabela would be impossible for her, which was starting to get boring.

She was right, of course, but still.

"Right! Why would embracing Isabela do anything?" Mirabel whisper-yells. You and Bruno exchange a confused gaze. Truth was, neither of you really knew.

You widen your eyes, silently motioning him to find a plausible reason. He shakes his head, panicking, and points to you instead. You send him a 'really?' glare, to which he answers with a 'okay, okay, geez, I will find a reason hugging Isabela will save the magic and keep the house from collapsing' sigh.

He turns to Mirabel slightly, searching for words before placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Idaknow, our family got a miracle, how do you help a family miracle? You hug a sister."

Mirabel looks at him as if he's stupid. You do too for a split second, then remember he was trying to help.

"Makes total sense to me." You nod, giving Bruno a secret thumbs up. He shrugs, meaning to tell you he did his best, and you make an okay sign as a thank you. "Anyway, we shouldn't stay here for too long, everyone's already searching for y-"

"MIRABEL?"

"Mirabel..."

The three of you jump, then look over the balcony fence to see Carlos and Camilo entering the courtyard, one of them way more energetic than the other.

"Oh, Mirabel, deaaaar cousin... Wheeeere could you possibly beeee?" Carlos dramatically brings a hand to his forehead, dragging his words -and his feet- before sighing tiredly.

"MIRABEL!" Camilo shouts again, but gets cut as his power suddenly glitches, giving him a baby head.

You clap your hand over your mouth in horror.

Carlos stares at his twin for two good seconds before beginning to burst out laughing.

"Pffff- wait-"

His power fritzes as well, giving him a quite ridiculous mustache, but taking the rest of his hair with it.

Carlos was now as bald as Camilo's baby head.

"Shit." He said, covering the mustache with his hands and sending Camilo, who had started mocking him as well, a death glare. "Let's just keep searching, idiot."

"MIRABEL!" Camilo yells in a high-pitched voice.

"Mirabel!" Carlos, whose voice cracks horribly, exclaims with more enthusiasm than before.

"What did I just witness." You murmur to yourself as the twins walk away.

"I think we're running out of time here." Bruno nudges you and Mirabel.

"I agree with this statement." You say plainly, still fazed by the scene that just played before your very eyes.

Mirabel was unbothered, though, mostly because she was preoccupied by that 'hug Isabela' thingy.

"It's not gonna work. She won't hug me, ever, okay? She hates me. Also, I don't know if you heard, I ruined her proposal."

You lower your gaze when you hear Mirabel say those words. You knew Isabela and her didn't exactly get along, of course. You weren't, as one could say, on good terms with your sister either, especially after tonight. But still, hearing Mirabel say it herself was hurtful. It made the fact that your sister wouldn't hug either of you real.