35. golden butterflies

"(Y/n)! Whatcha doing up there?"

You snap out of your confused thoughts and search for whoever had called for you. A familiar figure stood down near the pond, waiting for you to answer.

"Luca?"

Your voice came out weak, and he could barely hear it. Your friend frowned, wondering why you weren't searching for Mirabel. He had came up to the pond where you and your family had taken him one afternoon, just in case your sister had decided to go there, but instead found you there. He wasn't unhappy about it, of course, he was worried for you as well after you disappeared with Abuela, but you didn't seem to be fine.

He puts his hands on his hips, thinking for a moment before sighing.

"Wait a minute, I'll be right there!"

You let out a confused mumble that he doesn't hear, and decide to repeat yourself louder.

"But you're scared of going up that boulder!"

You weren't sure why you climbed it yourself after realising Mirabel wasn't here. It was your last option of the spots she liked, and when you reached it, out of breath from running, you felt like taking a small break. But the small break turned into a long one, and somehow you found yourself above the waterfall from which you and Mirabel had once pushed Luca.

She had said she was there for you that day. Even though those were mindless words thrown to add to a joke, you wished you had taken them into account.

To be honest, you had been pondering on everything you could have done to stop this from happening for the last thirty minutes, just staring blankly into the void, blind to the view of your dead Encanto in front of your eyes.

Luca just smiles at you, shrugging before running towards the boulder he so dreaded to approach only months ago. Would he need help? You couldn't even bring yourself to move a finger right now. That wasn't good. You didn't exactly want him, or anyone, to see you like that. But hey, what could you do?

You waited a few minutes, head lazily tilted towards the way he was supposed to come. Soon enough, he appeared, carefully walking along the boulder, as close to the wall as possible. You unconsciously let out a giggle, watching him warily detach himself from it to approach you. You were sitting at the very edge, legs hanging into the void, something he couldn't bring himself to do - or like seeing you do.

"You're... very close to that edge."

"Don't piss your pants. I do that all the time."

"Yeah, well, that makes me uncomfortable. That boulder might as well just collapse, like that mountain that cracked over there."

You hum to yourself, not moving an inch. His words didn't even give you the motivation to do that. You just felt empty. Your sister was gone, your house was gone... And so was your gift. You wondered whether that was where that emptiness came from. Your fingertips felt cold, freezing, even. It was as if that buzzing sensation you felt before the house collapsed left your fingers as dead as the magic that used to flow through your veins.

Was that how Mirabel always felt?

"Hey, uh... You good?" Luca finally says when you don't answer, and you shrug, swinging your legs in the air.

"Dunno. My house collapsed. My sister's nowhere to be found, which I don't find very funny. Also, I had a talk with my Abuela."

Luca sat next to you, well, as near to the edge as he could, which meant he was still a good half a meter behind you. " Yeah, I've seen you take her aside earlier. Maybe I should have waited until you were done instead of going to look for Mirabel."