37. being treated like a decent human being

"It's a dream when we work as a team! You're so strong!" Isabela sings as she helps Luisa pull some part of the wall back up.

"Yeah but sometimes I cry!"

"So do I!" You, Isabela and Mirabel hug her, all smiles.

"I may not be as strong, but I'm getting wiser..." She hugs back and you all start planting your own cactus, that Isabela was taking care off even though she didn't have her gift anymore.

"Yeah, I need sunlight and fertilizer. C'mon, let's plant something new and watch it fly! Straight up to the sky!" Isabela continues, beaming.

"Let's go!" You all add, and you were about to follow Luisa to wherever she was headed to help, when a little girl tugged at your skirt. You looked down to find Luz, who was already smiling at you sheepishly.

"Well, hello there." You raise an eyebrow, ruffling her hair slightly. She laughs.

"Hi. (Y/n), I'm not allowed to be here."

You tilt your head inquisitively. "I'll tell your mom."

"You wouldn't."

"Yeah you're right. Whatcha doing here then?"

"I was supposed to stay over there with the other kids because our parents are busy with the worksite, but its too boring." She pouts and points to a bench, on and around which a little dozen of children were sitting, looking relatively bored. "Can't you tell us a story? I love your stories!"

"Love, I'm very sorry but I don't have my gift anymore. It's gone. Poof! Disappeared, like a dad who goes to buy milk."

"My dad never disappears when he goes to buy milk." Luz raises a curious eyebrow.

"Lucky you. Anyway, I can't make illusions anymore."

"But you're still good at telling stories! Come on, please (Y/n)!"

"Luz-"

"OUCH!" You turn around to Camilo, who had just dropped a shovel on his toes. He looks around to check whether anyone had witnessed this, and meets your eyes. As your cousin bites his lower lip not to scream in embarrassment, you stay jaded, the clogs of your mind slowly kicking in.

Your gaze shifts to Bruno, or Hernando, who had patched all the cracks in your new walls and had now nothing else to do except standing awkwardly next to Carlos, who did not intend on helping anyone and was simply pretending to be busy so that Pepa wouldn't notice him slacking off. His ankle was fully healed, but not his head, yet he was perfectly able to prank people, and thus to help out if he really wanted to.

"Tío Bruno, Camilo, Carlos!"

As if they were waiting for your call, they soon are standing next to you, aligned like a small regiment.

"Yes!" They all solemnly shout, except Carlos.

"What are we doing?" He says, knowing you were going to impose a mission on them. You put your hands on your hips proudly.

"We entertain the children."

___

"I HAVE TOO MUCH SWAG, YOU CAN'T KILL ME!"

"I DON'T CARE, I'M SCARED OF NOTHING!"

You giggle as Bruno -Hernando- chases Carlos around with a stick under the children's amused gazes. Your cousin jumps on the bench and brandishes his improvised sword: a twig. He moves it a bit too harshly, and it breaks miserably before it even touches Bruno's weapon. They both stare at it, disappointed.